Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new installation doesn't work

warpkid
Grafter

Brand new installation doesn't work

Hi all
So we moved house and in doing so had to give up our lovely fibre connection as our new place is ADSL only. Plusnet informed me I would need a new contract and an engineer would need to come out to set the line up.
He came yesterday and fiddled around for a bit and left. Router is plugged in and everything looks ok except for one issue. We can't get a connection to the net. At all. Nothing loads.
Could someone tell me what's going on?
17 REPLIES 17
Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Brand new installation doesn't work

If it is sync'ing (connecting) to the exchange it is probably because Plusnet haven't yet received notification from Openreach that they have connected you. So they won't have activated your account.
As soon as they get that, they should. If a forum rep sees this thread they will be able to do it straight away. Or if you can get through to the online chat when it opens. I forget what time that is.
warpkid
Grafter

The broadband light is flashing so I guess it's not properly setup? I've reset router etc. no joy.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately the order has gone in to delay, I'm just following this up now but the notes are showing:
Faulty exchange equipment, unable to obtain new.
Those notes are from today, so the engineer has tried to follow up and finish the install but was unable to. Once I get more information I'll update the open ticket on your account.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
warpkid
Grafter

Hmmmm
That doesn't sound good.
warpkid
Grafter

And now it's working! Better strap myself in. 1mbps! 🙂
Estragon
Rising Star

You'll be overloading the BT Wholesale system with that.
What are you expecting? What does this checker say for your phone number? A copy and paste is easier than a screenshot, and just as useful. Just edit out your phone number.
Chris
Legend

Unfortunately the estimates are only around 1Mbps-1.5Mbps. At the moment the checker is only showing that 1Mbps fixed rate services are available too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
warpkid
Grafter

I'm not even getting that. Id go as far as to say it's not working. It's not usable that's for sure.
Chris
Legend

You've currently got a profile of 1250 which is correctly replicated on our side.
Can you run through a BT Speedtest, including the 'further diagnostics' after the first test completes and let me know the results.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Chris
At the moment the checker is only showing that 1Mbps fixed rate services are available too.

Hi WarpKid,
A warm welcome to the forums.  You must be deep in the out-back with speeds like that!  Tough trade for living in beautiful remote locations?  My client is semi-rural but has just over twice those speeds.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

warpkid
Grafter

Nope! A rather large new build village. We are supposed to be getting upgraded to fibre in September. At the moment though my internet remains totally broken and I'm not sure what to do.
Chris
Legend

Quote from: Chris
Can you run through a BT Speedtest, including the 'further diagnostics' after the first test completes and let me know the results.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Have you been through this yet?
NoZephy
Rising Star

That's unfortunate...
My sister has the same problem. Nice new estate with lovely houses but the broadband is pretty much the same as yours, around 1Mbps which is absolutely horrid. I had to put up with 3Mbps for almost 10 years before I moved to a place with Fibre Sad
warpkid
Grafter

Yep, I have done the speed test and it comes in at around 800kbps.
What is important to note that is that in actual use the broadband is so slow it might as well be dial up. Pages timeout. Streaming is a no no. Speed tests on phone show 10 second of ping.
Something is not right.
I lived in the same village a couple of years ago and was getting 2.5mbps down. Looking at broadband speeds on streetstats there are people who are getting 4mbps down on BT about 10 houses away from me.
I have been told on Twitter by plusnet help that it's because I am a long way from the exchange. 2 miles is not a long way and if this were the case then how would people on the same street be getting 4mbps down?
I hate to moan but I have been a customer for over 5 years. I ring up to move and basically accept a new two year contract with no perks because I have always had a good time of it with plusnet. Right now though the bottom line is that I am paying for a line that is pointless and there doesn't seem to be much I can do. If I could cancel the contract at this stage I would. We don't need a landline and the internet doesnt work. I could pay 10 pounds a month for a wireless solution and get 10mbps down and not need the extra expense of a phone line. Oh well.