cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new broadband pro service- disconnects 3 times in the first 12 hours :/

reggie

Brand new broadband pro service- disconnects 3 times in the first 12 hours :/

It's just become active and I've dc'd and had to restart my router 3 times in 12 hours. Is this normal? The router seems to be running very hot. I remember my old BT based service at a different house had lot of dc's sporadically. Also i want to turn interleaving off to see if the reduction in latency is worth and extra instability. How do I check if it is on or off?
7 REPLIES 7
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Brand new broadband pro service- disconnects 3 times in the first 12 hours :/

Hi reggie,
As you have just been activated the line is in its 10 day training period and can perform a bit oddly at first. I would also not change any interleaving options until the line has run through this training period as it probably won't help the line in getting its optimum performance.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Brand new broadband pro service- disconnects 3 times in the first 12 hours :/

Are you connecting to the router wired or wireless? Is the disconnection just that the wireless stops working but the router is still connected to the internet (you'd have to try wired to confirm that)?
You need to avoid rebooting if possible as it can make the BT systems think there is a problem with the line and give you a slower speed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
reggie

its wired. It's happend twice just now, it disconnects me from the server I was playing on and all other applications indicate i have gone offline. The internet light starts flashing on the modem, and this is when i have been resting it, but if I leave it -it reconnects itself.
Reseting my router affects the line training stuff? No-one told me Sad However I don't really care about line speed (over 1.2 mb/s DL is wasted on me) only low pings. Does a lower line speed mean i will have higher latency?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The aim of the training period is to work out the best compromise between speed and stability/lack of errors. Extra reboots could fool the BT equipment in to thinking that the line is less stable that it actually is, so it's best to largely leave it alone. ONE reboot a day (if you leave your router on continuously) during daylight hours is sometimes recommended as helping the training process.
reggie

So you are saying I should reboot my router continuously so that it tricks BT into giving me a lower line speed? I want a low ping- not high dl speeds. ( I would love high upload speeds so I could stream live from my computer, but that whould need in the region of 1mb upload.)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

NO!
The sync speed will make very little difference to the ping (in fact the ping will be slightly higher the lower the lower the sync). What you really need to aim for is stability - whatever the sync speed that gives and one reboot a day is recommended to achieve that.
Reboot to often and you could end up with your download speed limited to well below 1Mb - it could end up down at 135kbps!
zubel
Community Veteran

And you also might suffer a much higher interleaving setting - increasing potential pings of 15-20 to a minimum of 65-70