cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bouncing messages

pathologist

Bouncing messages

I have several email addresses and relevant email accounts; all are sent via the PlusNet SMTP. I never get a 'bounced' message notification, although I know that some of the recipients have not received a particular message - I used to get lots of these when I was with Orange, God rest their souls! Is there a way that I can get PlusNet to send me 'bounced' notices when a message is undeliverable? I use Thunderbird as my email program.
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Bouncing messages

Hi Pathologist,
This is down to the mail server you are sending the mail to and how it is configured. Not all mail servers will send a bounce message, a lot of them are configured just to drop messages instead. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about this.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

For the most part you're right Matt, but there are other factors to consider too.
@pathologist, are the addresses you are sending from actually hosted with PlusNet? If they're not then failed delivery reports may not be generated. This is to prevent unwanted backscatter. The Usergroup raised this as an annoyance a while back here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pathologist

I never use my PlusNet email addresses - my main address is a googlemail one. I also run a couple of charity web sites and one of these has its own address; the other is my googlemail one. I also have a doctors.net address. Thus, I guess, that none of my regularly used addresses are actually hosted by PlusNet. Am I correct? Additionally, the lack of 'bouncing' messages coincided exactly with the time that I ditched my old freeserve/wanadoo/orange email address, and Orange as my ISP - they were hopeless. Thus Bob may have found the cause and there's nothing to be done about it. Correct?
soulAdequate
Dabbler

Since yesterday afternoon, I've had an absolute stack of these (175 and counting today) - my first thought was a spam side effect, but I've had no more proper spam than normal so maybe not?
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1