Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder address not getting my emails

ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Blueyonder address not getting my emails

Has anybody else noticed a failure to deliver emails from relay.plus.net to an @blueyonder.co.uk address?
I'm getting messages from my sister, but she is not getting replies, and I am not getting FTD notifications. She has checked her Outlook blocked-sender list and her webmail account to no avail.
Are we blacklisted? Any thoughts?
Chris
38 REPLIES 38
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Blueyonder address not getting my emails

I got a reply from a blueyonder address to a mail I sent 5 days ago. How long have you been experiencing this problem?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: ChrisL
Are we blacklisted? Any thoughts?

I'd expect a failed delivery notification even if our relays were blacklisted. We've eight relay servers in total and it would be very unusual for all of them to have ended up on a blacklist. What happens if you try sending the message via Webmail? This uses the cgi-relays to deliver the message so provides an alternate route. Might help us narrow down the cause of the problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ChrisL
Rising Star

Thanks geewizz, it looks as though the problem is not a general one. We've been noticing it for over a month now.
Bob, I will try sending via webmail. It may take a while to find out if that hasn't worked. I've thought all along that the problem was with my sister's set-up, but we're clutching at straws now!
ChrisL
Rising Star

Bob, the message I sent using webmail DID get through! I've sent you a PM with the headers. Could you please have a look when you have time and see if it helps to uncover the problem?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Have taken a look. The headers look fine and I can't see any obvious reason why your messages shouldn't get through when sent via relay.plus.net.
I've tried sending a few messages myself to some Blue Yonder addresses and will check tonight to see if they've arrived (I won't be able to get in touch with the recipients until then).
I've also sent the following email to your sister via pih-relay08.plus.net. Perhaps you can find out whether or not she received it?
bpullen@pvs-csctools:~$ telnet relay.plus.net 25
Trying 212.159.11.46...
Connected to relay.plus.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 relay.plus.net ESMTP Exim Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:15:32 +0100
helo relays
250 pih-relay08.plus.net Hello relays [84.93.217.165]
mail from:support@plus.net
250 OK
rcpt to:xxxxxxxx@blueyonder.co.uk
250 Accepted
data
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
subject:This is a test email sent from Plusnet Support
Testing mail delivery via pih-relay08.plus.net
250 OK id=1KGC72-0007nD-1l
quit
221 pih-relay08.plus.net closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ChrisL
Rising Star

Thanks Bob. Yes, she received your test email. (She has sent it to me as an attachment, if it would help for you to look at it?) But she has failed to get another one from me sent 20:40 yesterday. All very odd!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Have you checked the reply address your sister is using? Perhaps you could send me the headers of an email she has sent to you?
Is it just replies to her emails that don't arrive or is the same problem encountered when you send a fresh email.
Do *any* of the emails you send arrive in her Inbox?
The fact your sister received my test email certainly suggests there's no problem with the relays (well certainly not pih-relay08.plus.net).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Doubt this will help but FYI I posted to a significant number of Blueyonder customers amongst others on 27th June and July 3rd and have had replies from more of the Blueyonder ones than others! As I said, doubt it's much help.
Regards.
ChrisL
Rising Star

@Bob
I've sent you a PM with headers from a message I received. There's nothing obvious wrong with the return address.
I'm about to try a new message, rather than a reply, because all my emails since the problem started have been replies. Nothing has got through since 2nd May -- we're talking about 8 - 10 messages. (Except for the webmail, of course!)  It'll be late tomorrow before I know whether the new message has got through.
@Anotherone
Yes, thank you for your interest, it does help by elimination to know your emails are arriving. (Grrrr!!)
Chris
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update Chris. Let me know what your findings are.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ChrisL
Rising Star

Thanks Bob!  No read-receipt or other sign that my sister got my 'fresh' email, even though I had a message from her about something else....  I won't be able to speak to her until later, but it looks like the problem is ongoing.
Chris
ChrisL
Rising Star

It might be another case of this problem with dynamic IP?Huh
But if Blueyonder is incompetently using Spamhaus blacklisting I should still get a bounce, shouldn't I?
Is there a channel of communication with another ISP to correct this kind of mistake, or do I need to request a static IP?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: ChrisL
It might be another case of this problem with dynamic IP?Huh

I'm beginning to think it is because of your dynamic IP. spraxyt has been helping me test this. When he sends to a Blueyonder addy from an account with a static IP the message arrives. When sending from an account with a dynamic IP though the messages disappear into the ether.
Seems that Blueyonder may be incorrectly looking up your ADSL IP address and rejected the email as it exists on an rbl (probably Spamhaus' PBL list).
But if Blueyonder is incompetently using Spamhaus blacklisting I should still get a bounce, shouldn't I?

You'd have thought so unless their policy is to black hole these messages. If they're not adhering to convention in the first place though then there's every possibility that they are doing this.
Is there a channel of communication with another ISP to correct this kind of mistake, or do I need to request a static IP?

It would be helpful if we had a bounced message but we'll see if we can get in touch with Blueyonder nonetheless. In the meantime you can change your IP address to static here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

greyposter
Grafter

I just sent an email to my old 'blueyonder' address and got an immediate reply.