Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking all peer 2 peer from my address

CapNcaveman
Grafter

Blocking all peer 2 peer from my address

Good evening all,   
    Just been looking into blocking more peer 2 peer site's running down my line. I have lodgers who I've asked on random occaisions to stop using p2p sites. I see on my accounts page there is a few already blocked automatically. My question is can I stop the rest of these sites being accessed as asking the lodgers has not worked so far and my usage is getting to it's limit!.  Would I have to ask the tech guys what port numbers are being accessed and manually place them into somewhere ( in my router management or the like) or could the tech guys do this for me on plusdsl until I tell them otherwise. 
On another post here , I play xbox online alot and have noticed that the connection has got extremely poor these last few days and was wondering if the usage of the p2p has got something to do with it?.  Any help would be greatly recieved. Thanks
P.s. Is site's like Facebook a P2P? as I know they are always on them or am I thinking it's more like limewire etc
Thanks again
CapNcaveman
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Blocking all peer 2 peer from my address

Facebook isn't P2P limewire and the like is, you can block some P2P activity by using the safe surf option here https://portal.plus.net/surf/
You should also switch off uPnP on your router but you will then have to set up port forwarding for your router, if your router still has the default password change it so that your lodgers can't access it to set up forwards for p2p.
If your lodgers are running P2P whilst you try to game that could screw it up.
HTH
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
CapNcaveman
Grafter

jeez, thanks.
Yeh i've looked into the safesurf and some are already blocked but i believe the uPnP is ticked which i will untick now. What would that do and what issues will it cause once unticked?
              Anyway i'll find out in a moment! If i dont reply it will be cos im blocked from accesing the net like when i unticked it some months ago..teehee
  Thanks
scootie
Grafter

you will need to set some port forwarding rules for the xbox as upnp will not auto do this now its off. xbox needs ports 3074 udp and tcp and 88 udp(i think 88 is udp).
and make sure you xbox is given same ip address each time.
you will also have to do this for things such as skype.
turning upnp off will not completely stop p2p i belive but will make the downloads run at something silly like 2KB/s so would be quicker to save 1p aday and go and buy the song ;D.
which router have you got?
will some one using p2p why your on xbox cause lag. yep esp when there hammring the connection. iam on 2500kbps-3000kbps line and i cant stand it when people are surfing web pages at same time as iam on xbox. comes in handy on the blame factor thoe. blame the pc user for my poor death kill ratio. there is a rule thoe that know iplayer or p2p is used when some one is on the xbox in this house thoe (all family so easy to bargin this rule with them)
CapNcaveman
Grafter

Strange... i've turned off the Upnp on my router (netgear DG834GT) and have not needed to give any commands for the xbox as i've just got off playing it and the connection is much better.        Though i did get a message saying i'm not open NAT but still didnt have a issue playing online. 
                        Just in case i have noted the port numbers thanks.
I didnt think i would have an issue but for these last few days of gameplay has driven me insane and no-one gets in my way for gaming, even the misses.
                  Well my line suppposidly meant to be 6000kbps (was 8000kbps with orange over year ago)with older gen netgear router_ran it just now and 5753down ,378 up for this time of night is poor. But i wont complain as i've seen much worse.
Thanks for the reply
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: CapNcaveman
Though i did get a message saying i'm not open NAT but still didnt have a issue playing online.  

iam pleased you got that message as i thought with the new dashboard they had done away with informing you what your nat status is.
did you get this message when you did a connection test on the xbox or did it pop up when you signed into XBL?
with your nat being mod/strict you will come across some issues like not being able to hear other people that are on strict nat's and also some problems connecting to game lobbys. Some times you will not notice any problems like you did tonight but i can be sure you will come across not being able to hear a friends mic at some point.
i have got the dg834g v4 and dont think there is any options that would be easy to block p2p on netgears and still let you use upnp so you dont have to keep setting up rules for applications.
You could set a firewall rule up to block a port number but in doing that you would need to know what port the p2p client on your lodgers pc's are using this is diffcult as your lodgers can change the port number they use when they find it not working. some clients have a option to randomize the port number every time the client starts.
happy lag free gaming
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You should also try switching your broadband firewall to high here.
That will block a lot of incoming connections.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
CapNcaveman
Grafter

Thanks adiewoo, Just done what youve said and gonna restart the router now. Wish me luck !