cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry + Plusnet

sirfox

Blackberry + Plusnet

Hi All,
Just a quick question: i have a .plus.com email account and would like to know if it will be compatible with Blackberry's push service? If any1 has or is using a Blackberry i would like to hear your views of how Plusnet accounts interact with your BB. Im sure its straightforward but its worth asking  Tongue
I am planning to buy an 8820 very shortly, and would like to make sure my plusnet account will work smoothly. Hope to hear from you soon,
Tony.
9 REPLIES 9
LiamM
Grafter

Re: Blackberry + Plusnet

Blackberry's are interesting little devices.  Confused me when I recently got mine!
You either need to use / connect to a Blackberry Enterprise Server, or use a service called "Blackberry Internet Service".  It's a subscription service and needs to be added to your contract tarrif (or bundled with) so just buying a Blackberry from eBay ain't gonna work.
The Blackberry Internet Services gives you a website control panel where you can setup email accounts and filters.  For me it is:- www.o2email.co.uk ; It's managed by RIM but has to be bundled as part of your mobile tarrif.  With O2 it also gives you unlimited data transfer and costs an extra £8/month or something like that.
From here you can setup your PlusNet mailbox with your usual POP3 details.  The Blackberry Internet Service then monitors / polls the mailbox and pushes the messages to your Blackberry as they come in.
sirfox

PJ thanks for your reply. You confused me though, isnt my plusnet.com email pop3? Im sure it is?
Liam thanks for replying; i am considering going with Orange on the 8820 and im really excited to receive the BB! And yes, with a 24 month contract Orange are offering a 6mb Blackberry Internet Service for about £5 (as are Vodafone, but you can not get the 8820 with them, only the Curve). What is your MB limit (if at all) and is this 6mb enough in your view?
Back on topic, i take it then that your BB recieves your Plus.com emails with np?
TY,
Tony.
LiamM
Grafter

With emails getting pushed to you, I don't personally think that 6Mb is enough.  I'm on a Business Plan at the minute with 'Unlimited' data.  It costs £8/month (+VAT) on top of my standard Business tarrif (something like that anyway).
Some info here :-
http://my-blackberryfromo2.com/tariffs_consumers_unlimited.asp
Means I don't need to worry about the bandwidth being used and I can also use WAP / IM / Google Maps etc... inclusive of my allowance.
Ps. I have the Curve myself, and get on brilliantly with it.
sirfox

Liam,
02 really has some excelent deals there. Thanks alot for the link. Im guessing that your view on data is correct.
I read on the BB forums that some Curve owners had a problem with limited memory (64mb internal) which on some devices caused the Curve to delete emails....this is what put me off the device but from your experience im guessing this is news to you.
Finally the 8300 doesnt have GPS, but can you still use maps like Google maps now on a desktop PC?
Tony.
carrot63
Grafter

I doubt you'll find the memory a real issue unless you have a lot of large attachments sent. In any case, with the "Blackberry Internet Service" you can choose whether you want the whole email or just the headers sent to the device, then choose to get them as you need. You can also sort the emails into boxes in advance using filter rules, and choose when they "decay", i.e. get automatically deleted, or you can choose to keep them eternally, or just tidy up the stuff on the BB via the email portal.
I have plenty of email coming in, but have never even got close to full on a 32mb 8100t. Just be sure not to collect from your PN "catch-all" mailbox, or you may get caught out. I had over a thousand junk emails arrive in 5 minutes via PN mail while walking round the British Museum, ending up with a sore thumb after pushing "delete" followed by "enter" 1,000 odd times - boring!!
I'd vote with James on the external Bluetooth GPS; better on batteries, and as toys go it's hard to fault.
sirfox

Hi Guys,
Just got home with a 8300 Cheesy Im so excited! Anyway i took the advice and decided the best combo 4 me was the 8300 with O2, as Liam has, which gives unlimited data use. Looking forward to receiving my plusnet mails on the move Smiley
Carrot what does PN mean!
Best Wishes,
Tony.
John_Essex
Grafter

Quote from: sirfox
Carrot what does PN mean!

I would assume that PN is his shorthand for PlusNet  Wink
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: sirfox
Anyway i took the advice and decided the best combo 4 me was the 8300 with O2, as Liam has

If only O2 operated a referrals scheme!
sirfox

PN - Plusnet duhh im so slow Smiley Liam, what if any 3rd party apps have you downloaded onto your Curve which your happy with.
Alot of ppl on the forums mention MiniOpera which i assume is used to browse the web; have you had any experience with it...and why isnt the webbrowser that comes with the Curve adequate (i carnt surf yet, waiting for my number to port).
Tony.