Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bit of a result!

anytbut
Grafter

Bit of a result!

Well,sorta long-ish story.
Ages ago i found out that my line was quite a bit slower due to the fact that i run through 2 cabs before getting to the exchange,so i took that on the chin and wished for fiber (fat chance at my exchange!).
But last week after running the BT wholesale checker it was giving me results showing that i should be getting over 2meg more than i currently was,so rang up PN and a engineer visit was booked....But through having to cancel it the previous evening,even tho he turned up he wasn`t permitted to access the cab.
Well,eventually another engineer was arranged for this morning (really nice and helpfull chap actually) and he did his online checks to see if there was spare capacity to send me through 1 cab,computer said no,but he went and had a looksee anyway.......low and behold,he found a line in the 2nd hundred he checked!
So,after running his tests to check line quality,synced up the router and now,from old 2 cab setup of just over 5,000,i`m now at 16,408!!
Downstream att down from 45.5 to 25,so a very happy chappy here,but the reason for the post is where the new sync is SUCH a jump from previous,i take it there`ll be a delay before everything catches up with things as the DL speed is stuck @ 4.4meg tho the new profile is around 14.
Have called PN about it and was told it`ll be 3 days for the DLM to catch up with the connection staying stable,so just being inquisitive really. Smiley
43 REPLIES 43
hadden
Grafter

Re: Bit of a result!

Did you run the BT wholesale speed tester Further Diagnostics option, to see what Profile BT has?
If that profile is much higher than 4.4Mbps then it is the profile at Plusnet and not the DLM that is holding you back.
anytbut
Grafter

I did yea,but got the reply off CS when i called that i needed to wait 3 days for the DLM which i thought weird as ADSL2 updates pretty much within a short while unless i`m mistaken?
Just ran another check as well as the BT wholesale checker...
The wholesale checker is showing as it was just before he changed the line to run through 1 cab,i guess it`s a sit `n` wait for things to wake up with BT`s records?
If it is just the profile holding me back (currently @ 4.4) can someone kindly adjust it if they happen to pop in and see this? Smiley
hadden
Grafter

That sounds like a brush off answer from the CS person. The DLM has already set your speed. You are now only waiting on the Plusnet profile to catch up.
CS could manually set it to 14400 now, if you ask them and you'd get the speed increase now.
A bird in the hand... Wink
anytbut
Grafter

Pretty much what i though,did seem odd when he said i`d have to wait 3 days!
The OR engineer was brilliant tho,v helpful ,we was both surprised when it synced over 16,000 from 5,000 tho. Cheesy
anytbut
Grafter

Just gave CS a quick ring back,said they can see my new sync speed but it`s the BT side that`s reporting my old profile,so have to wait.
anytbut
Grafter

Forgot to add that CS did say if the line shows as stable for 24hrs they can do a SNR reset,but wouldn`t raising my PN profile to match be tried 1st tho incase?
hadden
Grafter

Did the profile improve overnight?
anytbut
Grafter

Nope,everything`s stayed the same from the tests i posted yesterday,no change in anything....ip profile/dl speed/member center profile,all the same.
Line has been stable overnight,snr flicking between 6.5-7db this morning,so soon as the 24hrs are up i`ll be calling CS for a reset i think.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
Can you provide me with the Question ID this issue relates to so I can take a look for you?
anytbut
Grafter

Question ID:65650075
Cheers. Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that. I've just changed the Speed Profile set on our side. This change should drop your connection within the next few hours and take effect. Smiley
anytbut
Grafter

Many thanks Chris!
No need for a soft reset then?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well that would certainly speed things up Smiley
Edit:
Sorry - realised that might have been confusing given the nature of this query!
I meant that yes, doing a soft reset will sort that for you. All we are looking for is the PPP session to drop, it'll do it automatically but if you do it by doing a soft reset, it'll update straight away.
anytbut
Grafter

Earlier this morning....

now.....  Grin

Slight difference i think,guess that`s what losing one cab and reducing your downstream att by 20db does for your connection. Tongue
How long should i give it before having my upload uncapped Chris?