cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bit of a puzzler

Juvenal
Dabbler

Bit of a puzzler

My connection speed has plunged - from 5.3 Mbps throughput to 480kbps in the last 12 hours.
The modem is synced at 7.6Mbps and hasn't gone below 6.6 in the last few weeks. I'm not over my usage allowance (or else would be even slower...). What does seem to have changed is that the 'High speed broadband' setting in the Member Centre has gone from 8000kbps to 500kbps...for no readily apparent reason.
It's not strictly a broadband fault as such and the BT speedchecker is playing up so I can't get to the BRAS profile for the line. Any suggestions on who I contact?
10 REPLIES 10
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Bit of a puzzler

It sounds like a blip on the line and a brief resync at a low speed, this has caused the profile to drop. It should pick itself back up soon but if not within 3 days then raise us a fault via http://faults.plus.net (preferably with speed test results - if the BT tester is playing up please use http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk) though as this would be a profile issue it's more likely that we could pick something up with the line tests.
As I said however it's more likely that this will pick up over the next couple of days.
Juvenal
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply. What's puzzling me is that I'm not aware of any connection blips in the last 24 hours that could cause the change to the profile. I also can't access my profile because the BT Speedtester doesn't want to play at the moment...or at any point in the last 4 hours. Keeps coming back with 'Unexpected error'.
When you say 'blip', do you mean a full-on resync or suomething more minor - say renegotiating IP addresses, PPP connections or  suchlike?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I mean a full on resyns - I suspect there was a short burst of noise on the line for some reason, causing the connection to drop and very briefly resync at a slower speed, then drop again and resync at normal. If not that (it may not have been picked up by the router, but should have been) then something has happened at the exchange causing a similar thing. If the latter is the case then it should still reset itself in a couple of days but as I said, if not please raise the fault to us and we'll look into it for you.
Hope that helps,
Juvenal
Dabbler

I don't have anything of that kind in the router's log - yes, I know it's the monitoring on BT's end of the line that counts and mine proves diddly squat - but what I do have is a period of about 45 minutes around 1am this morning when the PPP interface went down.
Could that be what did it and if so are there any particular settings I should be checking at this end?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Could that be what did it and if so are there any particular settings I should be checking at this end?

Yes, and unfortunately no, unless there was any electrical equipment you know of that might have come on and gone off around the time of the drop - unless it was something exterior, which is probably the case, it cold be interference from something in your premises.
Juvenal
Dabbler

Well, there's nothing in the house that switched on or off around that time that I know of, so I guess I'm twiddling my thumbs for a few days until BT catches up.
On that note, is it going to do any further damage to my IP profile if I reboot the modem and deliberately resync?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It certainly shouldn't do - rather, it should help, particularly if you sync at your usual line speed (which should be the case).
ddunford
Grafter

Hi Juvenal,
Ive made some minor changes to your account which should help your issue, however 'if' their is something causing interference on your telephone line, be it in your premises or externally, you may find yourself back in the same position in a few days.
What i suggest is test your line again and see if the changes i have made worked, if so, great! If they haven't then go through the fault raising process to eliminate any issues which may be caused internally inside your premises.
Hope this resolves your issue and that it was just a one off
Smiley
Dan
Juvenal
Dabbler

Just to update - the BT speedtester finally worked and confirmed an IP profile of 500kbps. Go BT...
I noticed the change to the account's rate cap - thank you both for all the help Smiley
This glitch in the PPP interface still has me a little concerned, mostly in terms for stopping repeat incidents. Is there a detailed list of PPP settings anywhere that I can check mine against to make sure there's nothing set wrong at my end?
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Looking at BTs reports, your profile speed was bumped back at roughly half six this morning.
I wouldn't be too concerned about your PPP settings.  It really is just one of those things with the IPStream Max product.