cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bit Torrent Traffic Managed on BBYW Pro?

dieselglider
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Bit Torrent Traffic Managed on BBYW Pro?

Re: The title.  Having started this test, I was bemused to see the download averaging approx 8 kbps, whereas the upload was at line speed of around 380 kbps.
As I'm on BBYW Pro, I thought the download speed wouldn't be any where near as 'managed' as this, if at all.  Typical download speedtests for me are around the 3.6 Mbps mark.
It's no big issue for me as I don't tend to do much in the way of those type of downloads, unless the odd period of streaming counts, which works fine.
Btw, apparently the test doesn't work with IE8.
16 REPLIES 16
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Bit Torrent Traffic Managed on BBYW Pro?

Just tried that test and it looks OK to me:
Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?
* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.
* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved at least 151 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved at most 466 Kbps. You can find details here.
* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.
* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 2776 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 2930 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10009) throttled?
* The BitTorrent upload (seeding) worked. Our tool was successful in uploading data using the BitTorrent protocol.
* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved at least 307 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 569 Kbps. You can find details here.
* The BitTorrent download worked. Our tool was successful in downloading data using the BitTorrent protocol.
* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 1204 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 2831 Kbps. You can find details here.

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?
* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all downloads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 3041 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 1204 Kbps. You can find details here.
* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all uploads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 629 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 307 Kbps. You can find details here.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dieselglider
Rising Star

Looks like I jumped the gun a bit, I was expecting the download to happen first, so didn't wait for the test to finish.  However, the test gave a positive result when allowed to complete, if still a little slow on the downloads (on a 4000 kbps profile) at 3am compared to yours;
* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved at least 350 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved at most 353 Kbps. You can find details here.
* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 628 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 628 Kbps. You can find details here.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved at least 354 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 353 Kbps. You can find details here.
* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 607 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 628 Kbps. You can find details here.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all downloads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 628 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 607 Kbps. You can find details here.
* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all uploads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 419 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 354 Kbps. You can find details here.
Mand
Grafter

Re:Bit Torrent Traffic Managed on BBYW Pro?

Was the download running at the same time as the test? The test may have impacted the download and vice versa. Are you seeing performance problems on BitTorrent generally?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am on Value and did the test this morning at about 0730 it passed with flying colours on all the tests
scootie
Grafter

pierre isnt value rate limited 24/7 on p2p. which would mean the test should crash land rather than flying with colours  Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

256kb according to Kitz at that time, but it did pass OK
dieselglider
Rising Star

Re:Bit Torrent Traffic Managed on BBYW Pro?

Quote from: Mand
Was the download running at the same time as the test? The test may have impacted the download and vice versa. Are you seeing performance problems on BitTorrent generally?

Sorry, I meant that I expected the download part of the test to occur first, like with most normal speedtests.  I don't use BitTorrent, just curious to see the result of the test.  Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I ran the test last night on an account that *does* throttle Bit Torrent. The test reported something in the region of 3kB/s download on a 5Mbps line and then went on to say that it doesn't look like the ISP throttles Bit Torrent traffic! Crazy
Doesn't seem overly reliable to me.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pierre_pierre
Grafter

If I am up I will try again in the Morning and print the results page
scootie
Grafter

i just tried it on ie8 the test ran all right and bandwidth monitor showed the traffic mangment was limiting it to expected p2p speeds on unlimited and full line speed up but i left for 30 mins and it just sat saying it was loading the results or to that effect and did nothing
pierre_pierre
Grafter

result of test just done on Value
Results for your host (87.115.99.153 - 87.115.99.153):
* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved at least 207 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved at most 304 Kbps. You can find details here.
* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 202 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 243 Kbps. You can find details here.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP upload achieved at least 263 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 282 Kbps. You can find details here.
* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests a TCP download achieved at least 209 Kbps while a BitTorrent download achieved at most 249 Kbps. You can find details here.

* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all downloads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP download on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 251 Kbps while a TCP download on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 209 Kbps. You can find details here.
* There's no indication that your ISP rate limits all uploads at port 6881. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 314 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 263 Kbps. You can find details here.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

individual results
* Completed BitTorrent and TCP transfers using the BitTorrent port 6881:
Transfer Speed TCP Speed BitTorrent Conclusion
Download #0 251 Kbps 209 Kbps No rate limiting
Download #1 202 Kbps 203 Kbps No rate limiting
Download #2 208 Kbps 243 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #0 291 Kbps 281 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #1 302 Kbps 304 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #2 207 Kbps 166 Kbps No rate limiting

* Completed BitTorrent and TCP transfers using the non-BitTorrent port 10009:
Download #0 209 Kbps 249 Kbps No rate limiting
Download #1 251 Kbps 208 Kbps No rate limiting
Download #2 238 Kbps 209 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #0 263 Kbps 282 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #1 294 Kbps 282 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #2 288 Kbps 208 Kbps No rate limiting

* Comparing TCP transfers using the well-know BitTorrent port 6881 and the non-BitTorrent port 10009:
TCP Transfer BitTorrent port Non-BitTorrent port Conclusion
Download #0 251 Kbps 209 Kbps No rate limiting
Download #1 202 Kbps 251 Kbps No rate limiting
Download #2 208 Kbps 238 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #0 291 Kbps 263 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #1 302 Kbps 294 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #2 207 Kbps 288 Kbps No rate limiting
scootie
Grafter

think pierre's shows the test is useless  Roll_eyes as am sure you have a much better sync rate than me and your on value that is rate limited 24/7  
Download #0   2351 Kbps   2352 Kbps   No rate limiting
Download #1 2353 Kbps 2285 Kbps No rate limiting
Download #2 2281 Kbps 2353 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #0 720 Kbps 703 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #1 718 Kbps 707 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #2 716 Kbps 720 Kbps No rate limiting

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10013) throttled?
* Completed BitTorrent and TCP transfers using the non-BitTorrent port 10013:
Download #0 2331 Kbps 2351 Kbps No rate limiting
Download #1 2311 Kbps 2308 Kbps No rate limiting
Download #2 2338 Kbps 2326 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #0 720 Kbps 716 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #1 721 Kbps 720 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #2 720 Kbps 721 Kbps No rate limiting

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6885) throttled?
* Comparing TCP transfers using the well-know BitTorrent port 6885 and the non-BitTorrent port 10013:
TCP Transfer BitTorrent port Non-BitTorrent port Conclusion
Download #0 2351 Kbps 2331 Kbps No rate limiting
Download #1 2353 Kbps 2311 Kbps No rate limiting
Download #2 2281 Kbps 2338 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #0 720 Kbps 720 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #1 718 Kbps 721 Kbps No rate limiting
Upload #2 716 Kbps 720 Kbps No rate limiting
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes my synch is 8128, profile 7150, normal speed about 6500 but must be good A university says so