cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bind two plusnet ADSL Connections?

Grafight

Bind two plusnet ADSL Connections?

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I have a standard Plusnet ADSL over copper broadband connection to my house. It provides ~5Mbs and is the fastest thing available for me right now. FTTC is not being rolled out here for possibly years and Virgin 100Mbs is over the road (~18 feet away), but not on my side of the road and they want £6K to drag it over the road - ouch!! BTW I live on the edge of St Albans, ~500 yards away from the M25, but seem to be stuck in a complete broadband black spot 😞
Due to my whole family now using Netflix, Youtube etc for all their entertainment, 5Mbs is simply not enough so I'm currently exploring options to increase this.
One thought is - can I simply get another BT line installed and pay for a second lot of line rental and Plusnet BB and double my BB speeds?
Is it possible to get a router with two DSL connections and effectively bind the two 5Mbs connections into one 10Mbs connection (a lot of our TVs etc are connected via CAT6 and I don't want to seperate into two LANs in the house)?
Thanks in advance for your help.  Smiley
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bind two plusnet ADSL Connections?

You can't bond two connections together without the assistance of the ISP and Plusnet don't support this option. But you can get a load balancing router that will take two (or more) connections and when one is busy will direct traffic out the other, this is what I use (see sig).
Hope that helps.
Grafight

Thanks Mook! That's perfect, exactly what I need. Thanks for posting your equipment, I'm going to order exactly the same set-up.  Grin
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to help but you may well reconsider when you see the combined price ticket! If this is an issue then TP Link do an excellent budget load balancing router R480T+ and you can go with the cheaper DrayTek 120 modems, but they're still 50 each. I used to use both of these and still have them, but with the Vigor you can see the stats from the modems in the routers dash board something you can when using the TP Link.
Another advantage of the 130 is they are also usable on fibre for when it eventually comes along.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I believe that BT Open reach Huawei HG612 FTTC modems, if unlocked, also make good, stable ADSL modems but current prices on eBay are a little steep unoesscyou get lucky.  Many Broadcom based modem/routers also make decent modems if configured correctly in bridge mode, including the old Plusnet TG582: https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105753.0.html
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.