Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billion vs asus

bobboulby
Grafter

Re: Billion vs asus

Quote from: nitrams69
and keep BT modem.

So the RT version of the Asus should be ok for you?
Bob
PaulHeywood
Dabbler

So the Billion is a small vertical standing box, footprint about 6 or 7" by 1.5" and about 7" tall.  I'm sure you can find the specs on their website.  Wifi seems sounds and consistent all over the house but I've only been using it since last Friday night.  No issues with line sync but then I didn't have on my old netgear box either.
Pricewise there's no debate, the Billion was £78 including delivery.  The Asus model seems to be around £150.  One difference is that the Billion is not dual band although it supports N wireless. My old netgear was dual band.  However the Billions ability to scan channels for traffic means I have selected a channel that none of the nightbours are using, so the single band solution doesnt bother me.  Also the Billion doesnt have any unsightly aerials  Grin
shure
Grafter

Interesting point PaulHeywood has raised. Are you interested in dual band?  If so, the Billion is not for you.
You need to work out which is more important - having a single box (desk clutter) or the additional functionality (dual band).
For wireless my RT-N66u has been superb.  It's beating my old Netgear DG834PN hands down, which in turn was much better than the PN supplied effort.  Now my kids don't shout at me and my son's streaming doesn't bring everything grinding to a halt (I have ADSL "Max," surely the most blatant misrepresentation of a name ever!).  I can run my mobiles on the less crowded 5Ghz band while older stuff works great on the 2.4Ghz one, even through the generally wireless-proof Victorian walls of my house.  My older laptop feels like it's supercharged!
There are some challenges, though.  Having my Netgear in modem only mode has meant sacrificing router stats, since the Asus is the one shaking hands with PN and doing the DHCP.  So if you enjoy tweaking your SNR all day long you might want to consider the Billion.  But from a wireless perspective I'm glad I chose the Asus.
nitrams69
Grafter

So the RT version of the Asus should be ok for you?
Yes it would but would still prefer one box and as the DSLn66 is only £20 more than the RT version.
I really like sound of the asus for future proofing, not really bothered about dual band at the moment
but may need it in future.Only use laptop and tablets on wifi but technicolor is not good.
Only thing putting me off asus is reports of reduced sync and firmwares been work in progress.
The billion is sounding promising.
PaulHeywood
Dabbler

interestingly the single band but channel traffic selectable Billion give me a much better wireless connection than my old dual band netgear, also wireless N.  I now get 140Mbs at the other end of the house on my laptop but only got about 70 from the netgear.
Finguz
Grafter

I'd recommend the RT ( I've had one for 18 months or so and it's excellent, even better with Merlin's firmware ) and keep the modem, but it's your money.
nitrams69
Grafter

Decided on the billion will let you know how it goes. If anyone's got experience on setup for it  I'll take any help.
nitrams69
Grafter

Billion 8800 came and took about 30 minutes to pull old equipment out and get billion ready to setup.
Setup took about 15 minutes and was very straight forward sync only marginally higher than BT modem.
Wifi coverage is excellent no longer have dead spots and i'm getting full signal even at bottom of garden
which was unheard of with technicolor.
Initial thoughts are pleasing but will update with any issues.