cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billion vs asus

nitrams69
Grafter

Billion vs asus

Hi torn between the two of these billion 8800nl or asus DSL n66u  any help or experiences with them would be welcome.
22 REPLIES 22
nitrams69
Grafter

Re: Billion vs asus

Take it there's not many using these models.
wo0x
Grafter

Hi, I have no experience with either model, but I have owned ADSL routers from each manufacturer and I found the Asus to be superior in every way.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I've been using the Asus N56U for over 18 months & have been very pleased with it.  Smiley
You shouldn't need it, but the customer support is very average. However, the Asus forum is extremely useful.
nitrams69
Grafter

Reading some bad reviews on the asusdsl 66
shure
Grafter

I have the modem-less version, the RT-N66u.  As a router it's a vast improvement over my previous one and I get a very strong signal where previously I suffered dropouts. Can't speak for the modem part but the router is superb.
Muttley62
Grafter

Quote from: shure
I have the modem-less version, the RT-N66u.  As a router it's a vast improvement over my previous one and I get a very strong signal where previously I suffered dropouts. Can't speak for the modem part but the router is superb.

I agree...I find the Asus RT-N66u to be a very capable router.
PaulHeywood
Dabbler

I've just got the Billion 8800 over the weekend.  Easy enough to set up, just needed ISP username and password, box does the rest.  Suitable for ADSL, cable and FTTC/FTTP so very future proofed - not sure if the Asus does the same?  Wireless N turned off by default but easy enough to turn on.  Nice feature to scan channels and see neighbours settings so that you can pick a quiet channel - not seen that on other models.  Very detailed configuration menus, there is a lot you can tweak in this box and it's all explained in the on CD manual although there is a quick start guide along the usual setup and go lines in the box too.  IPv6 turned off by default so have turned that on too but that's wishful thinking.  Hurry up plusnet!
I got it for the ability to configure SNR - my service is poor, 1.9Mbs at best and I am hoping that tweaking the downstream SNR might get me over 2Mbs.  I can't get much more where I live from any service provider - line is BT and rated at 2.5Mbs max with no plans to upgrade in the foreseeable future.  The local council promises "at least 2Mbs by 2018" which is not much of an increase from 1.9.  In other Billion boxes SNR is configurable via a hidden menu.  On this device it's a menu of its own and easy to adjust, then check error rates on the line.  Decrease the SNR value until the error rate starts to move up, then return to the last value.
Unfortunately it takes several days for the line profile to adjust (assuming it ever does) so I don't know at this time whether it will work or not. Nice small unit with a on/off switch on the back if you want to do a quick reset.  Keenly priced under £80 via Amazon marketplace provider which is a lot less than I was planning to pay for the 7800N before it disappeared!
bobboulby
Grafter

Another RT-N66U user here. I've had it for about a year and it's been 100% reliable. There is a good support forum here http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46
Bob.
nitrams69
Grafter

Hear what your saying about the RT version but bad reviews on in built modem on DSL version, still no nearer to deciding.
bobboulby
Grafter

Have you thought about buying a separate modem? I'm on ADSL and use an old Netgear DG834G in modem only mode connected to the Asus. Works really well.
Bob
PaulHeywood
Dabbler

What features are of particular interest to you?  I can probably comment on the Billion now  Grin
nitrams69
Grafter

Only reason I want a change is poor wifi on technicolor and would like a one box solution, but not if it drops line sync like some have reported on the asus DSL n66u.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Why do you require a "one box solution" & therefore incur an additional expense compared to the BT modem which is FOC & works very well?
nitrams69
Grafter

Bt modem is under desk,would like to relocate but not much room on desk for router and modem.As for cost need better wifi so will have by router at least and keep BT modem.