cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billion Router?

NivagSwerdna
Dabbler

Billion Router?

I'm on PlusNet Fibre having migrated from BeThere ADSL in February.  When at BeThere I used my own Billion 7800N router which worked well for me and specifically had features like being able to configure static DNS entries for the services around my home (i.e. a DNS name can be created to point to a LAN address).
Initially I tried the 7800N (including an update to the latest firmware and ensuring QoS was off) but could not get the same performance as the PlusNet supplied Technicolor router; I eventually worked out that I could get the Technicolor to remember DNS mappings...
at command line...
{admin}[dns server]=>host add name=jira addr=192.168.1.12 ttl=0
{admin}[dns server]=>host add name=confluence addr=192.168.1.12 ttl=0
{admin}[dns server]=>host add name=minecraft addr=192.168.1.12 ttl=0
but I still haven't figured out how to make these persistent so I'm starting to think about another router...
Any suggestions on a Router that would allow me to have my own DNS entries, has good wireless coverage and goes superfast?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Billion Router?

try the command saveall after making the changes
NivagSwerdna
Dabbler

I have tried "saveall" but the settings do not survive a reboot.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: NivagSwerdna
Initially I tried the 7800N (including an update to the latest firmware and ensuring QoS was off) but could not get the same performance as the PlusNet supplied Technicolor router

Just out of interest (as I have a Billion 7800 and not yet in a fibre connected area),
roughly what sort of figures were you getting for both the Billion and Technicolor routers ?
deathtrap
Grafter

@ purleigh I use a Billion 7800 on my  FTTC 80/20 service, Throughput i get 9.1 -2MB/s downstream and 2.4MB/s upstream i sync at the full rate  here's a speedtest result.which is a little lower on the downstream side than it is early mornings

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2884957241.png
deathtrap
Grafter

@ NivagSwerdna there is a trick of saving the routers config file,as a backup  and then editing that file so that any qos throttling is removed  and then restoring the edited file to the router, There was information on how to edit the file on the billion forum , I use the billion 7800 wired only version  without issues