cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billion Bipac 7800N ADSL Router settings and also adding a 2nd router

plusman

Billion Bipac 7800N ADSL Router settings and also adding a 2nd router

I've just purchased a new Billion Bipac 7800N ADSL wireless router to replace my current (and aging) Netgear DG834N device. It installed fine and seems to be giving a slightly better connection (except when it rains! - but that is probably a BT issue), and certainly gives a better wireless signal around the house (which was one of the main reasons for moving tot his router).
I've set it up with the default settings (PPPoA, VPI 0, Mux 38, NAT enabled, MTU 1492) and currently am getting:
7872 / 448 kbps nominally (actual is ca. 5000 and 300 kbps measureed using speedtest.net)
SNR (up/down) 22.0 / 5.6
Line Att (up/down) 15.5 / 30.0
It also is in G.Dmt mode.
I have a few questions that I'm hoping somebody may be able to help with:
1. Are there any settings that I need to modify to improve the stability or speed of my connection? (I've read that there are settings in a "hidden" Billion configuration page that can improve the SNR, etc).
2. Is it worthwhile to change the modulation from G.Dmt to ADSL2 or ADSL2+, or is this something that only Plusnet can do?
3. I'm thinking of setting up my old Netgear DG834N router as a slave to the Billion to try and improve the wireless signal throughout parts of the house that only get a weak signal. I'm thinking of either setting it up using WDS, or if that fails then I mght go to the hassle of running an Ethernet cable to the DG834N. Has anybody done this, or have any advice as to how to make it work successfully?
Many thanks in advance for your help.
14 REPLIES 14
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Billion Bipac 7800N ADSL Router settings and also adding a 2nd router

I have a Netgear DG834G remotely connected to a 7800N via a Homeplug pair. The Netgear is primarily used as a router but the extra WiFi is a bonus configured as a repeater.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
plusman

Strat. What settings did you use on the Netgear - did you set it to the same SSID and IP as the 7800N?
Strat
Community Veteran

Different SSID  and a LAN IP outside the 7800N's DHCP range but same subnet...in my case 192.168.1.10 Netgear DHCP turned off.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
plusman

Strat. Thanks.
One further question - if you are moving from room to room, will your device (laptop, phone) automatically move to the SSID with the strongest wifi signal or do you have to manually reconnect?
Cheers
Strat
Community Veteran

I have to manually select whichever I prefer to use although the 7800N has a better signal than the Netgear and I haven't tested things with the routers more than about 8 metres apart.
Maybe someone with more experience of this type of setup can advise further.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Strats setup is correct for connecting directly using an Ethernet cable, or in his case a Homeplug pair which is effectively the same. You need to disable DHCP on the DG834G and since they are on different SSIDs you will need to manually select which to connect to as Strat says.
If you want to try WDS they need to be using the same SSID. However I'm not sure if iether the Billion or the DG834 will support WDS and quite often getting WDS to work with different manufacturers kit is tricky to say the least... 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

andysen
Grafter

Quote from: plusman
1. Are there any settings that I need to modify to improve the stability or speed of my connection? (I've read that there are settings in a "hidden" Billion configuration page that can improve the SNR, etc).

You can try tweaking your SNR margin, though this is something that will require patience to see results as you will want to test each sync rate for a couple of days at least and it also takes time for the IP profile to update on PN's end.
The hidden page is http://192.168.1.254/snr.cgi
The explanations of what code to use is here: http://www.spaldwick.com/broadband/billion-7800n
2. Is it worthwhile to change the modulation from G.Dmt to ADSL2 or ADSL2+, or is this something that only Plusnet can do?

No, you can change the modulation, assuming that your exchange is enabled for it. However bear in mind that depending on your distance, ADSL (G.Dmt) may be preferable to ADSL2+ for the same sync speed:

[Image obtained from: http://www.internode.on.net/residential/adsl_broadband/easy_broadband/performance/]

Overall, the 7800N is a brilliant piece of kit, you will not be disappointed.
andysen
Grafter

Quote from: plusman
I've set it up with the default settings (PPPoA, VPI 0, Mux 38, NAT enabled, MTU 1492) and currently am getting:
7872 / 448 kbps nominally (actual is ca. 5000 and 300 kbps measureed using speedtest.net)
SNR (up/down) 22.0 / 5.6
Line Att (up/down) 15.5 / 30.0

Just saw this - you definitely must try ADSL2/2+ as your  Line Att suggests you will get 14M+
plusman

Thanks for the comments.
I'll see if changing to ADSL2/2+ makes any difference . According to SamKnows I am 1.45km in a straight line from my local exchange - so more than that as the cable lies.
Cheers.
plusman

I've tried changing the settings on the 7800N so that just ADSL2 and ADSL2+ were selected (G.Lite, T1.413 and G.Dmt not selected), and rebooted the router.  I was not able to get a link - the DSL light on the 7800N kept flashing and the Internet light was dark. My exchange should be ADSL Max and ADSL 2+ enabled.
Is there something else I need to do to tray and get ADSL2/2+ ?
Cheers
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Is there something else I need to do to tray and get ADSL2/2+ ?

Sounds like your account has been set to ADSL1. PlusNet need to enable it for ADSL2+.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyS
The hidden page is http://192.168.1.254/snr.cgi

Thanks for the reminder Andy. I'm now syncing at 8128kbs and noise margin 5db Smiley
plusman

Strat - When you attached the Netgear as a 2nd access point did you have encryption switched on?
I've tried setting up my Netgear WG834N as a 2nd access point by setting it's IP to 192.168.1.10 and turning DCHP off and connecting it to the rest of my network via a Ethernet-over-power (Powerplug) connection. I've also set ti to a different SSID compared to the 7800N.  If I have encryption turned off or set to WEP then I can see and can connect to the Netgear (and my laptop recives the same IP address as if it directly connected to the 7800N). However if I use any form of WPA or WPA2 encryption (so that it matches the rest of my network), the connection just disappears and I am unable to connect. I've also monitored the connection using Inssider or Network stumbler, and they see the Netgear's wireless connection disappear as well.
I had the same problem in the past when I tried to connect an old Belkin wireless router to the Netgear - worked fine with no encryption, but didn't work when I tried WPA or WPA2.
Strat
Community Veteran

The Netgear is currently configured with WPA2-PSK as is the 7800N and both use the same key.
I see both in 'Network' as shown below.