cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Bittorrent problems

labortius

Big Bittorrent problems

Firstly, can I say thanks for any help I might get.
Secondly, can I say I just want to get this to work, and do not intend to swamp the network at peak times.  PlusNet are very clear about their policies, which I admire, and if 12am to 6am is an OK time to use bittorrent, then that's fine with me.  I don't intend to get much past 3 or 4GB a month.
Anyway, I have a Netgear DG834G, and am trying to use BitComet 0.84 and or Bittorrent 6.0 (actually uTorrent, I think).  However I try to set up my router, I have no luck, I can't get incoming connections.  It does see peers and the tracker is returning peers, but no downloads are possible.
The Netgear setup won't let me type my static IP into the send to LAN server, only the computer IP 192.168.0.2, I don't know if this is the problem.  I've followed the guide on portforward.com and they seem to type in their static IP, but it won't let me do that.
I've changed the listen port dozens of times, created new inbound firewall rules, disabled the plusnet broadband router, tried lots of new, well seeded torrents as tests, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks for any help,
lab.
21 REPLIES 21
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Big Bittorrent problems

Hi lab,
The IP address that you are to enter into the LAN server/port rules is indeed your IP address for that computer. Have you tried to set the IP requested on the router to the one you are attempting to use BitTorrent on? If not, then try that and create the inbound firewall rule to allow port forwarding on the port BitTorrent is using.
labortius

Hi Mike,
My static IP is 212 etc etc, but the router setup will only let me put in 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2, and that's it, otherwise it complains it's illegal and deletes it.
Sigh.  BitComet gives me a gray light, but sometimes says that 212 etc is blocked, so I think this is where the root of my problems lie.  Should I go back to a dynamic IP address and see if this helps?
Thanks,
lab.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Have you tried using 192.168.0.2? I don't use that router so I can't point you to the configuration pages at the minute, but I'm sure someone who uses it will be able to.
Just to clarify, when you are setting up rules for specific machines, you do it with the IP provided by the router/manually set up, not your IP provided by PlusNet (the rule would be bound to 192.168.0.2, rather than 212.etc)
James
Grafter

You shouldn't need to do anything to your router to get uTorrent working.  Runs fine on mine without any changes.
Is everything else working fine?
labortius

Hi Mike,
I've tried 192.168.0.2 (that's my machine IP address).  Using that IP address is blocking me off.  I've told Netgear setup I have a static IP and given it it.  I can put the static IP under WAN, but not LAN, so that's what I've done.

Jameseh,
utorrent on port 19900 and any other tells me the port isn't open when I test it, even though this port is specified in my inbound firewall rules, and the incoming connections light stays yellow (just like Bittorrent)
Thanks,
lab.
James
Grafter

Lab,
What happens if you're just using default settings on your router?  No other rules applied and with it just set to connect you to the internet (ie: your automated setup wizard).
Be interested to hear if there is some rule that you have set up that's causing the connection to misbehave on uTorrent.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I'm sure I remember having a similar problem on an old DG834 that I had a while ago, and that was with the standard setup config. I'll try dig it out in a bit and see if I can use it to connect to PlusNet to see the configuration pages.
labortius

James and Mike,
The default setting it to block ALL inbound traffic, and it did that, so torrents worked.
My rules are to allow bittorrent on 19900, my LAN is put it as my machine IP, my WAN as my plusnet static IP.
I tried to put in a DMZ last night, no luck, tried creating a new rule to allow everything inbound through, no luck.
I still get nothing even with my Thomsun Speedtouch 330 USB modem I tried yesterday.
Actually, one of my torrent has started up, it's on 70% and I've got a whopping 2.4Kb/s! (Everyone else is on 20 to 40).
Like I mentioned, I've tried half a doxen popular files as tests with no luck.  My other two torrents, with 9 seend, 467 peers, and 8 peers 0 seeds have been stuck doing nothing for hours.
If I don't have any luck I have a spare BT modem I'll try this afternoon after I get it from the loft...)
zubel
Community Veteran

Leave the WAN ip blank - putting an address in there will only allow traffic originating from that IP.
B.
labortius

Hi Barry,
Thanks, I tried this, WAN set to ANY (default) and my staic IP deleted.
Still no incoming connections!
Argh!
zubel
Community Veteran

Go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall and temporarily ensure that the setting is set to OFF
Delete all the rules in the router.
Go to the UPNP section of the router and ensure that UPNP is enabled.  Save the setting, then go to Diagnostics->Reboot Router
In uTorrent, go to Options->Connection and ensure that "Enable UPNP Port Mapping" is enabled, and "Add uTorrent to Windows Firewall Exceptions" is enabled.
Try to connect to a torrent and see what you get
B.

dennisb66
Grafter

Hi Laborius, Hope you have solved your problem,if not and you are using utorrent 1.7  I suggest you remove and d/load utorrent 1.6.1 as the later update  bans a lot of clients >:((see the forums) or use Azureus. If you cannot d/load a torrent,read the general details and it will tell you whether the client is banned.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Try having a look at this page for help with port forwarding.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
labortius

Thanks Barry,
I rechecked, the plusnet firewall is still off (I turned it off yesterday once I found it existed).
I have deleted all the rules.
UPNP in the router was enabled, and I have rebooted the router.
Enable UPNP port mapping and add utorrent to windows firewall exceptions is enabled...light stays yellow, at my site end.
BT HGV2700, Netgear DG834G, Speedtouch 330 all have same result.  Heck I have the Speedtouch with no windows firewall and no firewall at all, still no joy with Azurus 3.0.3.0, utorrent 1.7.5, Bittorrent 6.0.  I give up. 
Thanks for all the help though, everyone.
Chris, I've poured over that page, it won't let me put in my static IP (it starts 212 so it doesn't accept it, plusnet gave me that static IP.)
I'm on my way to ask for a MAC code.  Five days ago with Zen I never had these problems.  Time to move on, I think.  Wish me luck.
lab.