cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to increase sync speed?

BLINDPEW
Grafter

Best way to increase sync speed?

I've had a stble connection for over 21 days.with a sync speed of about 8400. But today we have had several power cut and my sync speed has dropped to the stats shown below. I was wondering if there is anyway of increasing the sync speed back to or even better than before.
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:30
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 7,681
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 43.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 9.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 28
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 14 / 0
14 REPLIES 14
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Best way to increase sync speed?

You're currently on a 9dB profile with no banding so it's possible that you've been moved up from 3 or 6dB which will reduce your sync speed.
Your connection logs show recent intermittancy so in the first instance I'd advise to leave everything powered up and plugged in for around 72 hours then reboot (just once) to see if there's any change. If the line doesn't bring your target SNR down then you can always raise a speed fault and request a reduction in your target SNR margin.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doohhh, I just typed out what Ben just said, now deleted. So I will just add-
Elsewhere on these forums it is often suggested that when you do the one reboot, that you switch the router off, wait half an hour, and then switch it back on again.  It is also often said that the best time for this reboot is late morning (10:00 to 11:00) as this is the period of best line performance and least household electrical interference, and therefore the theory goes that your router should negotiate the highest possible sync rate with your phone exchange.
Then leave your router powered on at all times - except perhaps during thunderstorms and power cuts !.
BLINDPEW
Grafter

Thanks for that I'll leave it for 72 hours has you suggest. Has I said in my previous post, I had a stable connection untill we had several power cuts today due to bad weather. So hopfully everything will be ok in 72 hours.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you live in an area that gets frequent power cuts, or was this an isolated incident ?
If it does happen frequently then it might be worth investing in an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to hold you router and telephone up.
BLINDPEW
Grafter

No we don't get too many power cuts infact it must be over12 month since the last one. I've just noticed though that they are replacing the street lighting so they might have caused the power cuts not the thunder and lightening. You know what there like with jiggerpicks.
puddy
Grafter

Depending what router you have you could try a re-sync with  the exchange using the dmt tool it worked for me http://dmt.mhilfe.de/
When you run the program put a tick in the box for english
Puddy
BLINDPEW
Grafter

Thanks for that Puddy I think this is the version I want DMT v7.35  cos mines a ST585. Will download and try when I get home. Is it easy to do cos ain't no computer wiz?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As I understand it it's just a matter of installing the DMT tool then giving your router's IP address and the username and password, it should be fine from there. If it's any more complicated please post back and I'll see what I can find out for you.
BLINDPEW
Grafter

Tried the DMT tool but it does not support the firmware on my 585 router. Have raised a ticket with plusnet and hopfully they can get my SNR reduced. Anyone know how long this could take and will I have to wait anothe 72 hours after this to reboot my router to hopefully increase my speed?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

BLINDPEW,
I'll flag this with our faults team. We can try resetting the SNR which restarts line training but we can't guarantee to what level this may be reduced too.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BLINDPEW
Grafter

Thanks for that but just wondering if I would be able to tell if the retraining starts i.e would I loose sync or something and that then would be the start of the 10 day training period. Plus would it be a good idea to reboot my router every 3-4 days during this new training period?
Thanks.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

BLINDPEW,
Some on here may disagree but I'd advise not to reboot during the training period. We'll let you know when we perform the reset.
Once done you'll be on a default speed profile of 2mb but this does uplift pretty quickly.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BLINDPEW
Grafter

Ok, thanks for ur quick reply. I'll wait for you to let me know and leave everything powered up, which is what I did on the last 10 training period but you read differant opinions on this matter.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team