cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best settings for TG582n router for xbox live / psn gaming

Justin7
Grafter

Best settings for TG582n router for xbox live / psn gaming

I have a PS3 and 360 connected with wire to the Plusnet TG582n router and I was wandering what the best configuration is for ensuring good connection to xbl and psn and getting an open NAT.
There are all sorts of settings such as:
Gaming mode -  ON / OFF
NAT - ON / OFF
NAT Extended Security - ON / OFF
Can also assign static IP addresses
Add pre made service like XBLive to the xbox ip address
etc

I sometimes find that I am logged out of xbox live or PSN without reason. The internet connection is stable and doesn't drop (and at the time of disconnect I can still browse etc) but for some reason I get logged out of xbox live or psn.  I connect using a fast (and stable) fttc connection.  Any ideas on how to fix this  ?
6 REPLIES 6
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Best settings for TG582n router for xbox live / psn gaming

For the best performance, you should enable Gaming mode and leave NAT on (this is intended for advanced use with multiple IPs only).
Extended NAT security should not impact this and is your own choice.
Static IP assignment to your XBox will not improve matters and there is no need to perform any port forwarding / game assignment. Gaming mode takes care of this for you.
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Sometimes disconnected from xbox live / psn

Quote from: Justin7
I sometimes find that I am logged out of xbox live or PSN without reason.

When you say they are logged out. Does this happen simultaneously on both consoles, or does it happen at different times on each?
Just to clarify, how are you determining that your overall connection has not dropped?
Dick:green Post edited after merge to maintain flow.
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Not at  home so cannot check my settings.  I haven't changed anything from the defaults and my NAT type is open for Live.  Not suffered any issues gaming since I installed the TG582n a couple of weeks ago.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
Justin7
Grafter

Thanks for your replies.
I am glad I have selected the settings you have confirmed. I will leave the Game mode and NAT on and I suppose I will leave extended nat security off. I am glad to hear the port forwarding is done by the game mode / nat so don't need to do anything extra there.
Regarding the disconnects from xbox live. I have found this happens occassionaly on either console and I check the internet is ok by looking at a web page or doing a ping check from my laptop.
Justin7
Grafter

- any thoughts on my response regarding disconnects ? 
prichardson
Grafter

Thanks for the notification that you have been able to resolve this.