Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best opinions on moving the router

samo
Dabbler

Best opinions on moving the router

Hi Peops
I've just signed up with Plusnet.
I know the recommendation is to site the router near the master phone socket but this isn't practical for me.
So, two options... either put in an extension phone socket to where I want the router sited, or get an extension ASDL cable.
Any thoughts about which or these two would be the better option?
Thanks
Sam
3 REPLIES 3
offbeatdave
Grafter

Re: Best opinions on moving the router

My setup is shown in the jpeg file linked below:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24506919/My%20phone%20system.jpg
It works well for me.
(Apologies to forum folk if I've linked to the image in the wrong way!)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

With due respect, you don't want "bog standard phone cable" you could easily get the wrong type of cable.
From a reputable supplier you want CW1308 cable which is the standard BT use.You also want 3.5mm cable clips and a Disposable IDC tool. That is a reputable supplier in the link, so cable quality shouldn't be a problem. There is some imported sub-standard cable about which doesn't meet the spec. so you should be careful where you buy. You can either buy a pre-filtered extension socket or an ordinary secondary socket (from anywhere) and use the plug-in filter.
And as has been mentioned only connect terminals 2 & 5 with the Blue/white trace & White/blue trace pair wires.
samo
Dabbler

Thanks for that guys. Seems that the phone extension is the best idea.
I will make sure that I get a high quality cable. That supplier you gave me the lunk to seem good and also reasonably cheap.
Regards, Sam.