cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Router To Buy For Plusnet

JayLaFunk
Dabbler

Best Router To Buy For Plusnet

I am using the Thomson Gateway TG585 v8 Software Release:8.2.7.7, I've had this router from PlusNet for about 7 years but I feel it is letting me down, watching BBC iPlayer and it buffers all the time, can you tell me what would be a better replacement router to buy that would give me better results.
Cheers
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Best Router To Buy For Plusnet

Buffering is more likely down to your speeds - can you provise the data requested in the sticky at the top of this board
JayLaFunk
Dabbler

Hi,
I did the following test BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test and the results were
Download Speed: 12.79
Upload Speed: 1.03
Ping Latency: 39.50
Hope this helps
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That shows that there shouldn't be a problem
As for why it is buffering can you advise whether you are watching in HD or normal and is it the same on several devices
JayLaFunk
Dabbler

Not HD, yes it happens on my HTPC hard wired to router running Windows OS which sits underneath my TV.
dick:quote
JayLaFunk
Dabbler

OK what if my current router was to not work, what would the best router replacement to go for?.
iruhaku
Dabbler

Any ADSL2+ router will do I use a TP LINK TD-W9980 N600 as long as it's a ADSL2 router with an RJ11 port it'll work fine then it's just a case of picking what one you like.  there's plenty on eBay for reasonable prices. Mine also does VDSL so when fibre does come I can just stick with it
JayLaFunk
Dabbler

Cheers, will look about for the routers you mention.
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

My TG582 works fine on ADSL2+ at 3km from the exchange. Would there be any advantage to (say) Billion 7800n which I see widely available as folks go to fibre?
iruhaku
Dabbler

Quote from: Longliner
My TG582 works fine on ADSL2+ at 3km from the exchange. Would there be any advantage to (say) Billion 7800n which I see widely available as folks go to fibre?

You'll likely see little to no difference (on an adsl connection) in downstream/upstream you may get better WIFI range etc with better antenna, wireless ac support etc depending on Router. I't's the same with VDSL (FTTC) if the router supports it then it will do fine. The only real reason you get an alternative router is for WIFI range, speed and usually better latency.