Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bell wire and SNR etc

mal0z
Grafter

Re: Bell wire and SNR etc

Quote from: robbiegy2k
s. Just a thought, after about day 2-3 of going live my mum turned off all the mains in my room so the router was powered down for most of the day and powered back up in the evening, would this have made any difference with it being during the learning period?

Mother's eh  !  Smiley
Turning off for a while would not greatly - in my experience - but turning on in the evening is not the best time - rather better to be during the middle of the day - if that's possible.
robbiegy2k
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Yes, you can rewire it with an NTE5a - legally. If I can find the link I'll post it.
But basically you disconnect all the extension wiring (carefully), then ensure the incoming BT cable terminates on the original BT master socket and nothing else. From there you add an NTE5A as the first extension then join up the other extensions to that in the approved manner.
If doing that involves moving/rewiring the master socket it's debatable whether that's stricly allowable or not, but no-one is likely to complain.
Many people have of course just given up and obtained and fitted their own replacement NTE5a, though this is of course in contravention of something - probably your contract with BT at least.
Edit: Here's how to do it: http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm

Cheers HPsauce!
As my parents have never been on the internet their not gonna have a clue what im on about so need to convince them we 'need' a NTE5a socket. Problem is it looks a big'ish job so wouldn't want to ask my uncle, im not great with DIY so i'll give it a miss. Best route sounds like the phone provider way, I've got a horrible feeling my parents signed up to a contract with talk talk about 3-4 months ago so might struggle with the 'taking my business elsewhere' line..
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo) fixed quote ]
robbiegy2k
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
s. Just a thought, after about day 2-3 of going live my mum turned off all the mains in my room so the router was powered down for most of the day and powered back up in the evening, would this have made any difference with it being during the learning period?

Mother's eh  !  Smiley
Turning off for a while would not greatly - in my experience - but turning on in the evening is not the best time - rather better to be during the middle of the day - if that's possible.

lol tell me about it!
No one about during the day until next week - may get her to re-sync it during the day next week then and see if I get a better sync speed.
robbiegy2k
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
If you accidentally smashed it up with a big hammer, BT might replace it for free you know. Smiley
Or if you are ready to recontract on your homephone, simply tell your supplier that you want a free upgrade to an NTE5 socket - their retentions team will be happy to arrange it when you tell them another supplier has offered to do it if you move your business to them.

lol - all joking aside do you think it's an option to bash a TV stand in to it or something to get talktalk out to fit the NTE5 socket? just wondering what other tactics I could use to get this socket installed without coughing up? Just i've found out that with my old style socket I can't do the test socket test so im not gonna be able to work out if this is a local wiring thing or not...
Further update: I've been reading up on some other cases where ppl want an old style changed to NTE5 and their's 1 case of a disabled person getting better treatment and not being charged as they weren't expected to be able to reach or get to sockets/internal wiring to do any testing. Apparently even if it was a fault in the house or no fault was found at all they wouldn't get charged and 'may' still get the NTE5 socket.......well my mum is registered disabled so gonna use this angle... Im wondering if i'd be best phoning talktalk on her behalf (or get her to do it) and report some kind of fault? (not mentioning broadband) or should I go straight to BT?
Any 'symptom' suggestions would be appreciated - I would phone my uncle but he's away on hols so don't want to keep disturbing him.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

You can't contact the relevant part of BT directly, you have to go via your phone (or broadband) service provider.
By the way, as a disabled person myself, what is "registered disabled" these days given the concept no longer exists? Blind maybe, blue badge maybe, registered disabled no.  Wink
godsell4
Rising Star

... I've got a horrible feeling my parents signed up to a contract with talk talk about 3-4 months ago so might struggle with the 'taking my business elsewhere' line..

Do your parents pay any money to BT for the line rental?
If not, then it sounds like if you want to complain about any audible fault, you would have to go through TT. If you want to complain about any broadband fault you would have to go through PN.
But you said you used Be for broadband before PN ... are you sure? I thought if you were on Be, you would not be able to have a TT phone line too. Somebody correct me on this if needed.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
robbiegy2k
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
You can't contact the relevant part of BT directly, you have to go via your phone (or broadband) service provider.
By the way, as a disabled person myself, what is "registered disabled" these days given the concept no longer exists? Blind maybe, blue badge maybe, registered disabled no.  Wink

ahhh yes, valid point. Im just going on the fact she has a disabled parking badge  Grin She does get some extra benefits but we do have to pay for the phone bill.
robbiegy2k
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4

Do your parents pay any money to BT for the line rental?
If not, then it sounds like if you want to complain about any audible fault, you would have to go through TT. If you want to complain about any broadband fault you would have to go through PN.
But you said you used Be for broadband before PN ... are you sure? I thought if you were on Be, you would not be able to have a TT phone line too. Somebody correct me on this if needed.
SW.

Hi Godsell4,
Yep they have to pay a bill... Do you think if I raise a fault with PN it could result in them getting BT to fit the NTE5 socket?
As for the line, well the telephone line is billed to my parents with TT but I pay for the broadband and ordered that seperatly with BE and now PB and it runs on my parents tel line.
Im wondering if TT have their own engineers or do they sub-contract out to openreach? just if I raise a audible fault with TT what are the odds of them getting openreach out to look at it? I guess it's unlikely if I go this route the openreach engineer will install the NTE5 socket for me and if they do they'll want to charge me/TT and if it's TT they'll want to forward the charge to me..
godsell4
Rising Star

So far we are assuming, well OK maybe just I was assuming,  you were on ADSL2+ when you were with BE. But I do not think that is true now, it is likely you were always on IPstreamMax using BE, so your sync speed should be the same on PN and on BE.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
itsme
Grafter

Hi All,
Well i've been with plusnet for a few weeks now and somethings not right - I was with BE on their ADSL2 product and used to get approx 3.5mb downstream 600k+ up

Not an assumption the OP stated they were on ADSL2.
@robbiegy2k, if possible find out what your neighbours are getting in terms of speed, SNR and downstream attenuation. It could be a waste of time jumping through hoops to get the master socket changed to a NTE5 faceplate as removing the ring wire could have solved all your internal wiring problems.
Santiago
Grafter

As I have 6 extensions in the house (acting as 1 big noise antenna)

Is it possible to have 6 extensions on a single line domestic system and do you have 6 phones attached
I seem to recall when I put in a fax machine there is a limit on devices connected to a single line.
robbiegy2k
Grafter

@ Godsell4: Im 99% sure I was on ADSL2 with BE - I think thats the only product they do now although I could be wrong..
@itsme: Bit tricky a the moment as my mate next door's internet has been down for a while and he's in no rush to get it fixed. I'll try and get my mate over the road to do a speed test and see what he gets.
Just to update you I've spoken with PN support and I think they manually adjusted my IP profile as he said i'd now get 2.5mb download speed as opposed to sync speed of 2.9mb but with a download speed still of 0.9mb
Now I don't hold much hope for this buuuuut after speaking with TT and explained the problem (told the truth and that I just want a price on getting a socket replaced/converted to NTE5) and he took my details and said they would get this sorted out... He said i'll get a phone call soon to arrange when the engineer can visit. Im not so sure he knew what I was talking about and played it safe and intends on passing it on to someone else.. I didn't mention costs as he didn't and thought if they just go ahead and do it without giving me a price then in theory they can't charge me..... Anyway im not holding my breath, it was a fella in India taking the call and I wouldn't be suprised if my request is floating down the ganges river as I type...... I'll leave it till the end of play today then i'll badger them again, probably only to be told a completely different tale!
Thanks for your time in replying to my posts.
robbiegy2k
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
As I have 6 extensions in the house (acting as 1 big noise antenna)

Is it possible to have 6 extensions on a single line domestic system and do you have 6 phones attached
I seem to recall when I put in a fax machine there is a limit on devices connected to a single line.

Sorry should of mentioned, we only have 2 phones plugged in (1 up 1 down) and my router plugs in to a 3rd socket (via filter)  the other 3 are sort of redundant but as my parents chop 'n change things from time 2 time I think they'd prefer they were kept live. Is there an easy to disconnect (or more importantly reconnect afterwards) the 3 not in use just to see if this makes a difference?
mal0z
Grafter

floating down the ganges river as I type......
  Grin
The boat takes about 6 weeks to get to UK  Wink
Let us know how it works out - it will be interesting.

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago

The limited is 4 REN (ring equivalent number) most phones will have a REN of 1. I have 4 extensions with phones plugged in and after removing the ring wire the stats from my modem is the same if I use the test socket or any of the extensions.
@robbiegy2k Openreach will do the upgrade of the master socket as it's their property, there will be someone on these forums that would know the standard price they charge so will be interested to see TT markup.