cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Belkin router ?

PitchBlack
Grafter

Belkin router ?

I bought a Belkin router F9J1102v1 last November, it has worked great until 2 days ago when it started dropping connection every 20 minutes, reboot then dropped connection. Put my old Belkin router back on F7D2401 v1 and it is great again. Returned the F9J1102v1 and swapped for a new one and it has the same problem, blue light is on but I cannot open any web pages. I did a troubleshoot and it says PC is not being allocated a IP address, then another trouble shoot says DNS server isn't responding and Your computer is trying to use a DNS server that doesn't exist.
Steam opens, but DCS world and Elite dangerous don't, OCUK website is the only website I can access, every other site just says cannot open page check the address. I have put my old F7D back on and everything is working again. Am I missing something ? I phoned support and was advised my connection was up. but on my PC it said it was down.
Awaiting support reply, but it is still another 24 hours and I cant relax when something isn't working.
Thanks for reading.
Edit, I checked the ip config all for both routers and they are identical.
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Belkin router ?

Honestly I don't think this is really something we'd be much help with as the service is working correctly when using one of the routers, so it' not the connection causing the issues.
However have you checked that your computer isn't assigned a static IP, if you google for 'static IP windows 7/8' or similar that should show you how to check.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
PitchBlack
Grafter

I have been here since 1998 Chris and back then I was given a static IP. I ended up taking the router back and getting a refund so no problems now.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The biggest mistake that users make when setting up new routers, if they have a static IP from PN, is to specify the IP address in its configuration. This isn't the way they work.
Instead, you need to leave the default setting (in most routers, and certainly all I've seen) which is to obtain the IP address automatically from the ISP. PN will then assign you the same IP address each time you log on.
Technically this isn't a static IP address, rather a sticky IP address, but it has the same effect.
PitchBlack
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Jaggies, I always let the router auto chose, the thing is the router was working for 6 months without a problem then on Tuesday, decided to play up, so something must have happened somewhere that particular model Belkin didn't like as I swapped for a brand new one this morning and that didn't want to work properly either, yet my 7 year old Belkin was fine.
I have bought a TP-Link one this afternoon and it is working great, just need to update the firmware.