cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being traffic shaped??

apolloa
Dabbler

Being traffic shaped??

Hi, I was wondering if one of the staff members could check my line to see if I'm being traffic managed. I am supposed to be on the 'Pro' package and have a sync speed currently of 18 down and 1 up. I cannot see my SNR's or error count.
I'm asking as I use streaming a lot with my Amazon Fire TV, Netflix works and Amazon Prime does, but freeview TV isn't very smooth and iPlayer can buffer too. Just want to know if it's the app on the Fire TV issue or something else?
And another question is on the fibre packages can you opt for the Pro add on with those?
8 REPLIES 8
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Being traffic shaped??

I'm not staff, but you shouldn't need the Pro add-on for streaming to work well. It can make things worse, because it increases the priority of other traffic to the same as streaming. The Pro add-on isn't very useful on the current packages, technically speaking everyone's traffic is managed, but not slowed down or "throttled". More info: https://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimited-why-is-it-still-traffic-managed/
apolloa
Dabbler

Looks like I'm being traffic managed, it is streaming fine now and it's 1AM. But I would like a staff member to confirm this and explain if it is correct or if their is a way around it?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As ejs has said the Pro package will make streaming WORSE if you have other activity (e.g. P2P torrents) running at the same time. If you don't have anything else running the ONLY affect of the Pro package will be to make you £5 per month poorer - it won't speed anything up as all it does is affect the relative priorities of the traffic on your line when it is running at capacity - it does not increase the speed of the line.
How are you connecting to the router? If it's wireless, that could be the issue.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

As other posters have said the pro add-on could hinder you rather then help you.
The line is testing fine and everything looks good from our end.
As Anotherone has asked are you connecting over wireless?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
apolloa
Dabbler

Hi, it's not wireless, Netflix is fine as is Amazon Prime. I guess it's the freeview streams the app is using, or the app itself. My browsing was slow too but I had updates to install and it's been fine after.
Just didn't know weather you traffic shaped certain streaming media or not, I've no idea how freeview streams present themselves to the network?
I have also tried homeplugs and it's the same. Hmm guess I'll have to wait for this streaming revolution to catch up? The app I use is the Mediahhh TV app, it's on the Amazon store for free and is the only one that does all the freeview channels including Dave etc.
Would torrent streams as opposed to downloads in Kodi be affected by the Pro package? Also is there a Pro option for fibre BB? All I do is streaming and browsing, only downloading I do are updates for things and apps etc.
Can I disable my Pro add on and then put it back on after if it makes no difference? I do play games online on a console and you advertise the Pro package as being good for this.
apolloa
Dabbler

Anyone able to answer the above?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The Pro package is good for games if you play unusual games that are so little known that the traffic management system doesn't recognise them. If you play games that a lot of others play they will be recognised and given top priority anyway.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
apolloa
Dabbler

Quote from: spoon
The Pro package is good for games if you play unusual games that are so little known that the traffic management system doesn't recognise them. If you play games that a lot of others play they will be recognised and given top priority anyway.

I only play games on my PS4, some on my Fire TV and then some on my tablet or phone. Nothing out of the ordinary. I have some Steam games too.