Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been having a few issues - Want to avoid engineer callout

danieltharris
Dabbler

Been having a few issues - Want to avoid engineer callout

Hi,
Been having some issues with slow speeds. and unreliable connection dropping all the time.
An engineer is booked out for tomorrow afternoon, but it seems to be connecting slightly faster (still way too slow) than the last 2 days, and seems to be a fairly reliable sync. Been connected for over an hour at this speed.
I'm wondering has the line been capped at 512k - ish. Usually we are able to get around 1.4 Meg, until this recent issue.
To try and avoid an engineer callout, can any forum staff get access to see if some sort of cap has been put on due to the connection issues? If this cap could be changed or reset and the speed improves...it would avoid the engineer having to come out at all.
Changing to a different router makes no difference. Has the line been "banded"?
I have put stats below, and curiously the "Maximum Bandwidth" is showing the speeds we should usually expect to see in the "Bandwidth" stat....
Uptime: 0 days, 1:04:12
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 552 / 1,500
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 576
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 4.65 / 25.70
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 15.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 42.5 / 66.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
9 REPLIES 9
James
Grafter

Re: Been having a few issues - Want to avoid engineer callout

Hiya,
If the line was capped or banded, I would expect your downstream SNR to be quite a bit higher than 6.
I reckon it's best to let the engineer visit play out, but given the apparent length of your line (attenuation is very high) I wouldn't expect much more out of it.  I appreciate you say it's been higher before, so hopefully the engineer can find out what's caused the slow down.
danieltharris
Dabbler

It's been around 1.2 - 1.4 Meg consistently for months and months. I have accepted the fact we will never get better speeds on this new build development. This is a consistent problem on many forums i've noticed, It's down to Open Reach, and a story for another time.
However, I think we will get the engineer out, but if we can't get the speeds back up to the 1.4 Meg mark I wouldn't even bother keeping the service. There's definitely no reason it shouldn't be able to get back to where it was.
--Rant alert  Grin   (This is what slow speeds do to people who went from having 20 Meg Virgin Media and slowly losing speed every time they move over the years)
It's a massive shame Virgin Media get no funding, as it means they can't afford to cable any new areas, even if they wanted to. If they had agreed to open up their infrastructure to other providers I don't think people would be in my position, as they may have got funding that way. Because they won't it means we just have to rely on Open Reach.
The infrastructure they maintain is open to other suppliers so I assume they get funding from somewhere, it's just a shame the infrastructure is rubbish in some parts.
We should have some sort of rule put in by Government around new build houses and fibre connectivity. No use building loads of brand new houses and then them only being able to get broadband speeds that were available around 8+ years ago 😮
---Rant over  Tongue
dick:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Do let us know how things are after the visit today. Here's hoping it leads to some improvement for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
danieltharris
Dabbler

To my surprise it was an Open Reach engineer they sent out today. I thought it was going to be one of the Plus Net guys.
Whilst the Plus Net engineers are as helpful as they can be, any time i've had someone out from the ISP (With previous issues), they've only been able to do pretty much what I had already done (Try different router, different phone etc).
The Open Reach engineer was extremely helpful. He was very willing to explain as he went through things and answered any questions I had. He changed something with the wiring in the External NTE, and he has fitted a different socket inside the house.
We had already disconnected the extensions, but he would have done that too if it wasn't already done.
It now has one of the plates with the filter inside the socket, and he removed some bits from the External NTE and made some adjustments.
The plate they fitted is the one i've heard plenty of people talk about before. He phoned in to report the work was done and said at some point the Sync would drop so the line could be reset, and that it would hopefully re-sync at the speed it was at before (1.4 Meg).
It has synced up again since he left and the Maximum Bandwidth has gone up to around 1.6 Meg, Actual Bandwidth has gone up to around 1.5 meg. Fingers crossed it now keeps synced.
It's 0.1 meg faster than before on download, obviously that's not going to be noticeable, but the fact it is now re-connected after days of being between 245kbps and 500 kbps is great.
There isn't  a lot that can be done now (nothing in fact) until we get Fibre available here. Engineer did say that the copper connecting us to the cabinet is new and of really high quality, so if we eventually do get a cabinet upgrade, we should see decent fibre speeds (He's familiar with this development and has been out to many houses here, it's quite notorious now for having poor speeds (250kbps most people had when they moved in, removing ringwire gives around 1.4 meg))).
The service from Open Reach was excellent and the engineer couldn't do any more to help, it's all down to the planning people now, I need to try and campaign for our cabinet to be upgraded  Tongue
James
Grafter

We don't have any field engineers Smiley
Any of the engineers that we book for customer visits will always be an Openreach one.
danieltharris
Dabbler

It was actually when I was with another ISP, who I promptly left and insisted they cancel our contract with no penality....People will probably know who I mean. Had the worst customer service ever.
Then we promptly joined Plus Net who are very helpful indeed. And the big dog on the newest advert would have sold me on the company if we weren't already with you lol (Just my kind of humour I guess).
It did sound like I meant a Plus Net person came out previously, but I meant I assumed it would be someone from PN as that awful company we used to be with sent one of their guys out (Assumed it was standard practice)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

To my surprise it was an Open Reach engineer they sent out today. I thought it was going to be one of the Plus Net guys.

Hi again,
We don't actually have our own engineers that visit customers. As we re-sell BT Wholesale broadband services that would mean that BT Openreach engineers would attend at visits like this as BTO are responsible for what's regarded as the "local network"
I'm glad to hear the visit did lead to some improvement on your connection speeds.
As for fibre I hope that comes your way soon, I can empathise as I'm still waiting for my exchange to be enabled too Cheesy
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
danieltharris
Dabbler

It's frustrating isn't it, but I guess everybody wants theirs done yesterday, and not everybody can be first. I just hope it happens at all here.
If only it went on the basis of upgrading people are very low speeds (Less than 3 Meg) first, then I would be sorted  Grin
Our exchange is Manchester East and it's been enabled for quite a long time now, it's just our cabinet we are waiting on. The recent announcement of Open Reach enabling numerous Exchanges soon makes me worry that they are done with our area now and won't return to do the cabinets for years.
When you see areas that already get between 20 - 40 Meg, and then see them looking at upgrading those areas for 80+ it makes you lose faith that anybody is paying any attention to the people with some of the lowest speeds for a non-rual area.
The broadband we get is actually only around 3x as fast as the first ever broadband I had, and that was back years ago when NTL first rolled out their broadband service. Must be getting on about 8 years or so since then  Shocked
James
Grafter

Quote from: danieltharris
It was actually when I was with another ISP, who I promptly left and insisted they cancel our contract with no penality....People will probably know who I mean. Had the worst customer service ever.

I believe the company that you refer to will actually send their own engineers prior to booking a BT one.