cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been A Plus.Net Customer For 10 Days - Over 77 MILLION FEC Errors!!!

micky007
Dabbler

Been A Plus.Net Customer For 10 Days - Over 77 MILLION FEC Errors!!!

Hi,
I have been a Plus.Net Customer for 10days for Broadband and i have been getting really bad download speeds, when i do speed tests they report saying 2MB but when i come to download from UK servers or anywhere else the max i will get is 40KB. I have also have over 77 MILLION FEC errors since the days days my broadband has been active, thats over 7 million errors a day i am getting from my broadband connection.
Its not just my laptop that is having the issues as its my computer too which has the speed problem (wifi and wired and using the test socket, the line from the modem to the phone box is direct).

whats going on here? is my speed problem because of all the FEC errors which if i remember correctly the FEC errors is because of problems with the connection to and from the local exchange?Huh
Whats happening?Huh
Thanks
PS: Also the other errors seem high, please let me know what all these errors mean and why are they so high? Is there a problem with my phone line? Do i need an engineer?
9 REPLIES 9
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Re: Been A Plus.Net Customer For 10 Days - Over 77 MILLION FEC Errors!!!

No. FEC are errors which are corrected on the fly by Interleaving. The high number means that Interleaving is turned on and is doing its job.
Your SNR Margin at 3 is very low and you would get a more reliable (if slightly slower) connection if you re-sync'ed your Router between dusk and midnight. It would then give you the optimal sync speed at 6db SNR margin and will probably hold sync for several days.
Your attenuation suggests that you are ~ 3 miles from your exchange so > 3Mbps is fairly normal on ADSL Max.
micky007
Dabbler

I have also noticed that my modem keeps restarting or losing connection or something as the uptime keeps resetting. Is this because the FEC errors are reaching over 100 million or something?
I've also noticed the SN Margin as changed and the loss of signal has gone up.

Whats going on? Can someone from Plus.Net please get back to me or give me a call, my account username is my forum username.
Thanks
zubel
Community Veteran

The forums are not officially covered at weekends.  You may have better luck calling them up or raising a ticket.
It sounds like you have some interference on your line, so the first thing to do is to isolate your internal wiring by plugging the router directly into the BT test socket and letting us know what your router stats are then.
B.
micky007
Dabbler

Just plugged it into the test socet, going to leave it in there and provide Plus.Net stats before i go to work so around 8:30 AM i will upload stats.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your connection has been a bit intermittent which may be the problem here. Now that the router's in the test socket, you may see some improvement - your synchronisation speed has gone up by over 2000kbps since your original post so I would expect some improvement in stability to go along with this.
Your line is connected on a 5000kbps profile, are you seeing throughput significantly below this since this morning?
micky007
Dabbler

Hi,
Yea just done a speed test and im getting 5MB now, can you increase my profile to as max as you can as im in an ADSL MAX area so i hope to be getting a good speed.
Here is my stats after 26 hours in the test socket. Still a lot of errors and is on target to do over a million errors in 9 days time also the SN Margin is quite high (is this good or bad and what does it mean?).

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your SNR margin on the upstream is high but this is an indicator of a good line as 448kbps is portioned off from a fixed frequency range. If the exchange can give you 448kbps from a smaller frequency, the 'spare' shows up as a higher SNR margin.
The SNR margin on the downstream is 6.5dB which indicates a target of 6dB. This is again a good indicator of line quality as 'normal' SNR margins are 6-9dB, the lower it is, the faster the speeds you will receive.
With regards to the errors, they're counted in bits across the duration of your connection and are a sign of <i>corrected</i> errors, i.e. interleaving doing it's job. As such, they're nothing to worry about, so long as you're not experiencing any intermittancy.
micky007
Dabbler

so does this mean i need have to keep my cable connected to the test socket if im to have a good speed and no problems?
If so then that sucks as anything could happen when i have friends over who have kids, they could stick there fingers in and pull the wires or my dog could try eating it.
at the moment everything is hanging out the phone socket since i need to plug into the test socket in order to get a good connection.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You should look at fixing your internal wiring - bell wire removal for example  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
You could of course replace the front plate with http://www.adslnation.co.uk/products/xte2005.php and connect the router to it.
There is the other - rather more drastic option - disconnect all the wires from the front plate and replace it but of course this means that non of the phone sockets in the house will work