cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BeThere.co.uk reporting "Up to 18Mb", PlusNet says 6.5Mb

UberMensch
Grafter

BeThere.co.uk reporting "Up to 18Mb", PlusNet says 6.5Mb

Just a query really, definitely not a "why aren't I getting faster speeds" moan.
Be reckons my line's maximum speed is 18 meg, while PlusNet says it's the current line speed is 6500 in the portal.
Also, the "Estimated line speed" shows "Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).".
Would it be possible to have a line check done to see how fast this old horse can really go?
Thanks,
Tom
4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: BeThere.co.uk reporting "Up to 18Mb", PlusNet says 6.5Mb

Be* use ADSL2+/ITU G.992.5  technology whereas your current Plusnet service is ADSL1/G.DMT/ITU G.992.1. Once your exchange is 21CN WBC enabled (exchange checker) Plusnet will be able to offer ADSL2+ and a trial is currently in progress (forum).
If you take the downstream attenuation shown in your router stats and use Kitz's calculator here, that will give you an idea of the maximum speeds to be expected.
David
David
godsell4
Rising Star

Enter your phonenumber into http://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html to find out what BTW think your line will go at.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: UberMensch
Be reckons my line's maximum speed is 18 meg, while PlusNet says it's the current line speed is 6500 in the portal.

That's quite plausible.
An IP Profile of 6500 (current line speed) corresponds to an actual connection (sync) speed that could be as high as 7900kbps.
That would typically go with a line length that "appears" to be around around 2.1km.
With ADSL2+ as used by Be that same line would be expected to deliver over 15mbps.
A few little problems at present may be inhibiting your speed slightly and if your line was actually just under 2km then Be's18meg estimate would be perfectly reasonable; it's probably based on a known line length recorded by BT (which may be wrong of course).
So, well within normal variations I'd say and quite probably correct.
Post your current router stats for confirmation.
scootie
Grafter

not to put a dampner on be's est and they probally have your's right at 18mb.
but a few years ago when i asked for an est off them i was quoted i think around 8mb all i rember is it was way out for my 51db line