cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be Broadband Branded Router

lemarsu

Be Broadband Branded Router

Hi,
I have just open a Plusnet account and I have a Technicolor 582n  from Be. I was wondering is there a way to transfer it to Plusnet/
I has this as I am unable to edit the username / password.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
barberio
Hooked

Re: Be Broadband Branded Router

As with the Plusnet branded version, there's an alpha-numeric string serial number printed on the label of the device which is it's default password when you do a hard-reset of it.
If you've just transferred over from Be Internet, do remember that Be Internet expect that modem to be sent back, and will charge you for it if you do not return it.
picbits
Rising Star

BE(SkyBE) have said they don't want the old modems back now and customers are welcome to keep them.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'm not 100% sure, but they may have their routers locked down with their firmware - so you may not be able to use it with another ISP.
barberio
Hooked

Yes BE did firmware lock the web-gui settings to their own LLU settings. Theoretically, you'd just need to flash the firmware with a more open one to fix that.
However, BE used a variation of hardware called BANT-1 instead of the BANT-T devices most other ISPs, including PlusNet, use. So you can't apply a PlusNet firmware to the device, and I know of no other open configuration firmware for this device.
It's still possible to configure the device's WAN connection settings, but it requires learning the configuration commands for it, saving a configuration backup, editing it to change it, then uploading it back to the device. This isn't an easy edit, and the documentation for the commands you'll need to use is not simple, so I would not recommend it for anyone who hasn't been a sysadmin in the past. If you feel adventurous, you can find information on the device here.
Even if you're impatient to get connected, I'd also recommend just waiting for your PlusNet router to arrive, rather than going out to buy one now, because we don't know for sure yet what routers are compatible with the expected addition of YouView services. If you have a fibre connection, you should be able to connect one PC directly to the OpenReach fibre box as it functions as a PPPOE Modem, which will give you one computer online till the router arrives.
owenojo

I had an one of the BE technicolour routers upon switching to plusnet - indeed you cant simply set them up for another isp. Personally I didnt bother and just got another one off plusnet Smiley
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

I believe you can use a BE or o2  TG582n router with other ISPs but needs a bit of work.
I looked into this a few months ago for the o2 TG582n (wireless box 5).
The latest o2/BE firmwares for the TG582n are locked down and won't permit anything but the default install@o2broadband.co.uk ppp username to be saved/used, using PPPoA on Sky ADSL broadband.   But it is possible to load custom 'templates' via FTP to permit alternative username/password to be saved/used.
Have a look at this youtube video which explains how you can use Setup wizard to install alternative templates on an o2 TG582n.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0qqg8FCxI

If you have the BE version of the TG582n, you may be able to install Uno.net generic firmware to fully unlock it.  (Sadly, this does not work for o2 badged TG582n)
http://www.jonathandavis.me.uk/2013/12/flashing-generic-firmware-on-a-technicolor-tg582n/

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-