Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic FTTC questions

deekay
Grafter

Basic FTTC questions

Hello.
Please may an old gentleman ask a few very basic questions?
I have just found out that our small town will be changed to this "Fibre To The Cabinet"  in December of this year.
1) Will BT change my master socket or will I keep the old one?
2) If they change the master socket, will they change the one on the upstairs extension? BT installed the extension six years ago.
3) Will I still be able to use my Netgear DG 834 10/100 router, or will I have to get a new, faster, one? For my 10GB/month light use, I am not desparate to get faster speeds.
4) The router (cable connected, not wifi) is plugged into the upstairs extension.
I have tried Googling but can't find the answers. They are probably there, but I have just missed them.
Many thanks.
Keith
4 REPLIES 4
hulls
Grafter

Re: Basic FTTC questions

Hi Deekay

1) They will put a new faceplate on the socket
2)I believe that they won't touch the extension socket
3) You'll need a new router, because FTTC uses a different protocol.
Hope that helps
John
deekay
Grafter

Hello John.
Thank you for your reply. I have edited my posting to add number 4).
Does that alter your reply?
Cheers
Keith
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

No it does not.
First, you don't have to change to FTTC, you can still stay on your current connection if you want to. Although I suspect FTTC will actually give you a much better broadband experience and be more reliable.
However, If the PlusNet FTTC trial is still going when your cabinet is FTTC enabled, you can join the trial and they will supply a suitable wireless router to connect to the VDSL modem that BT will fit (and connect to your extension). If the trial has completed then I suspect PlusNet will still be offering a suitable router under their normal 12 month terms or you can purchase one yourself - it would need to be a DSL router, the type that you would buy for a cable connection rather than an ADSL version for phone connection.
Note: BT would need to enable both the cabinet and exchange for FTTC and often the dates given are estimates rather than a known date, so it may well be into 2011 before it is actually available.
deekay
Grafter

Peter and John.
Thank you both very much for your replies and the clear and concise information which you have given me.
I now know what to expect when the time comes for the changeover!
Thanks again.
Keith