Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth - local monitoring not matching VMBU

tonycollinet
Grafter

Bandwidth - local monitoring not matching VMBU

Hi
We've had an explosion in bandwidth usage in recent months. I'm trying to track it down (I suspect WOW Patches are a significant component, but not all of it)
I've installed Net Limiter monitor on all 4 PC's, so should have an accurate record by application of where the bandwidth is going. One thing I've found so far, is that if I add up all the peak usage on all the machines from the Monitor log, it comes to nowhere near (sometimes only half) of what VMBU is reporting.
Can anyone explain why this could be? (Lets assume for the moment that no-one is stealing wireless bandwith)
Is anyone aware of a system which will monitor all the bandwidth going though the router (using the routers built in logging for example) but time stamp it?
Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Bandwidth - local monitoring not matching VMBU

Does your router support SNMP?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tonycollinet
Grafter

Seemt to:
SNMP version 1(RFC 1155, RFC 1157, RFC 1213)
What can I do with this then?
rickinyorkshire
Grafter

I seem to be having a similar issue, my usage is reporting nearly 4gb of usage since the start of this month. I have downloaded nothing, i'm at work most of the day and the g/f only uses ebay/facebook. Sorry to hijack the thread  but their maybe an underlying issue here.
James
Grafter

I'm not ignoring this thread.
I'm trying to get some usage logs from this end to compare against VMBU.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Hi James
Is there any way of making the usage logs available. I'd really like the ability to see more detail of where the usage is going - it is driving me nuts at the moment, trying to keep it under control - not to mention the familial stress of "no you can't download at peak time"
Or
"OK - who is responsible for this 600MB!!!"
Ideal would be an excel format file of all the info available.
James
Grafter

Not easily.
It's taken directly from Ellacoya, which I don't have access to.
scootie
Grafter

i run net limter 2 and find net limiter to be reporting lower usage. but i have also noticed that the time on net limiter runs about 10mins ahead of my computer clock. thoe my usage on the vmbu is never double that reported by net limiter.
so if your runing net limiter on lots of pc's maybe the wee underestamite from net limiter i get is multiplyed by all your sperate net limiters resulting in a bigger diffrence to that of vmbu.
i left bbc one streaming this moring at 7am and fell asleep till 2pm and my vmbu is reporting 1.5gb paid usage and net limiter reports upload and download at 1.285gb used bettween 8am and 5pm.
i trust the vmbu on a diffrence of this amount
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@ tonycollinet 
net limiter monitor will not be the same as VMBU, your VMBU includes all headers where net limiter monitor is payload only