Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 32 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 0
I may have missed something, but why are there separate bandwidth and max bandwidth values? Has my line been throttled? I thought rate limiting just affected a specific type of network traffic at a specific time, not overall sync rates (and this data has been recorded at 12:30am!)? And does anyone know why my SN Margin is so high, is it possible to get PN to lower it?
Thanks.
47 REPLIES 47
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Bandwidth cut?

Something very wrong there...
The max is what the router things you may be able to get with the current line condition, the bandwidth figures are what you are actually getting and these are way lower than you should have.
Does a reboot make the max down sync rate any different because it should be a lot higher than it is considering it has a SNR or 20dB... The router should being trying to sync at a rate where the SNR is 6dB (as the sync rate rises the SNR decreases until it hits the min 6dB value).
If a resync does not change it try connecting directly to the master socket, and if no different, to the test socket behind the removable lower part of the master socket. The test socket will remove any internal phone wiring from the test. If you do get a faster connection on the test socket then you have a problem internally.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Bandwidth is the speed at which bits will travel between the exchange and your router and vice versa. The maximum bandwidth is what that figure could be in an ideal situation with all tones fully used. Typically this would be with a noise margin of around 6dB. The unqualified bandwidth (or sync speed) is the actual speed of your present connection.
Your current downstream sync speed of 1150kbps is at the top end of the 576-1152kbps band so I assume the DLM has put you on a banded profile because it is convinced your line is unstable - large numbers of transmission errors or frequent disconnections (due to loss of sync or manual restarting of the router). It will have introduced a banded profile to try to stabilise your connection. A corollary of that is that the noise margin increases significantly.
Having put you on a banded profile the DLM will take it off again if it sees that stability has returned - which can be demonstrated by leaving the router connected 24 x 7; don't switch it off and don't restart it to try to increase the sync speed - it will re-sync itself when the banding setting changes.
Have your experiments with bridge mode led to a lot of restarting?
David
00lloyd
Grafter

Ahh thanks, well glad to hear it's not a line profile implemented by PN to curb my downloading! I think its a wiring problem because my phone line was cutting out just before I got connected to PN about a week ago because of some wiring pulled out behind the master socket accidentally, and I just fiddled around with the phone line wiring (I do know what goes were but it still wasn't working) until it did work, so there's probably a weak hard-line connection somewhere.
I re-synced the router and it did nothing, same sync rate, but I don't think that's the problem. I guess I'll just have to wait till I'm put back on the normal profile (how long will that take?), and if it happens again I'll re-check all the wiring (I'm guessing the polarity on connectors 2 & 5 don't matter on the master socket but correct me if I'm wrong).
I have already disconnected all the other phone sockets from the master socket anyway as we don't use them, it's just the ms, then an I-plate, then a splitter.
Oh, and on a side note, I cannot find any config files that will put 585v8 in bridge mode without crashing it! Surely someone else has solved this?
Thank you for help, much appreciated, Lloyd.
00lloyd
Grafter

This is frustrating as this never happened in three years with my old ISP, I never saw anyone complaining about banded profiles on thier forums, so why is it such a problem here?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

ADSL2+ and the stupid automatic systems which came with it  Angry
00lloyd
Grafter

No I was using ADSL2+ there aswell, never a problem!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think Oldjim meant to say "ADSL2+ and the stupid automatic systems which BT Wholesale introduced with it". Alongside IP Profiles the concept is brilliant in an ideal world, but unfortunately the real one isn't like that especially in user hands.
It can take 3 days, 7 days, 14 days, or longer for the DLM to relax or remove a banded profile, it depends how "difficult" it judges management of the particular line to be. The only certainty seems to be that trying to speed things up by restarting the router usually has the opposite effect. Plusnet can get banding removed (via the fault route), but if the DLM puts it on again, getting it removed again will be very difficult.
Moral - if there is an intermittent wiring fault, getting it sorted out first is desirable.
David
00lloyd
Grafter

I checked the line, it's all perfectly connected. I had a 18Mb/s connection for 3 years with my old ISP without ever even hearing about banding! Iv'e only been connected to PN for 24 hours now and it's already happened. How do I get PN to remove it. Also does anyone know what the cooling off period is to cancel the contract, and any charges that may be incured, because if it happens again in the next few weeks I'm gone!
Thank you.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

one think that was missed, his router stats at just passed Midnight, only connected for four minutes, that is asking for trouble
00lloyd
Grafter

15 hours later (a couple of resets along the way but the stats haven't changed):
Uptime: 0 days, 2:04:28
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 17,452
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 1,150
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 8.47 / 84.46
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 20.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.0 / 20.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 30
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 33 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 0
Does anyone have any insight into what might be causing those errors at the bottom?
puddy
Grafter

When you say re-sets does that mean you have swithced the router off and restarted it?
If so you are making the problem worse you need to be connected 24/7 otherwise a re-set make BT system think their an error on your line and slow your connection even more.
Your speeds wont pickup until your line becomes more stable and that means dont keep restarting your router
Puddy
00lloyd
Grafter

No I meant soft resets. How do I get PN to lift the line banding? Is it done just by altering my SN margin (because I could do that myself)?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Mine is a V7, dont know if that is the same display, but it looks like yours hasnt been on long, see below fr mine
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: 00lloyd
No I meant soft resets. How do I get PN to lift the line banding? Is it done just by altering my SN margin (because I could do that myself)?

Firstly, you convince them that your line is stable by not rebooting it for around 72 hours.
If there are no line drops, then the Digital Care team may be inclined to reset the banding.  However if the underlying fault is not fixed and you request banding to be removed, it is likely to be re-banded, and the second time PN will not be able to remove it as easily
So, make VERY sure that all your wiring is in tip-top condition, before requesting that banding is removed.
B.