cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth Issue

dotunex
Dabbler

Bandwidth Issue

Just don't get what is wrong with this plusnet line... now we discovered that the mac outlook causes lags, we know to switch it off before gaming, but her Samsung note mobile phone is now causing the same issues when she goes onto instagram... Surely, that should not be enough to use up my upload bandwidth???? These issues have arisen only since I switched to plusnet. Is it just that the plusnet router is [Censored]?Huh
9 REPLIES 9
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Lag/packet loss in World Of Tanks

I've just checked your account and you are uncapped 😕  What upload speeds are you seeing when you do a speed test?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
dotunex
Dabbler

Re: Lag/packet loss in World Of Tanks

0.97Mbps
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Bandwidth Issue

Mod Note: Posts split off into new topic to aid resolution.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Kelly
Hero

Who were you with before hand? 
Kelly Dorset
Mathias
Grafter

I'm also questioning whether 1mbps upload is sufficient in this day and age and whether something like 3-5 would be better?
Is there any QoS performed on upload traffic to prioritise gaming traffic at PN end like there is with the traffic managment for download? Can this be done done on the users end in the router?
Kelly
Hero

We can't prioritise QOS because the bottleneck is the router itself.  This thread details one forums users explorations with using the Technicolors own QOS functions:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116556.0.html
Kelly Dorset
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: Mathias
I'm also questioning whether 1mbps upload is sufficient in this day and age and whether something like 3-5 would be better?

That is essentially a limitation of ADSL technology.  If you need faster upload speeds, then you will have to look towards fibre.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have ADSL2+ and a good download speed,  you could ask Plusnet to put you on "Annex M" to see what maximum upload speed (up to 2.5Mbps) can be achieved - although you will lose some of your download speed,  and it costs something like £10 per month extra.
Mathias
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
We can't prioritise QOS because the bottleneck is the router itself.  This thread details one forums users explorations with using the Technicolors own QOS functions:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116556.0.html

Further proof that the router is pretty poor, again another function that needs to be performed using the CLI rather than the GUI.
Quote from: Townman
That is essentially a limitation of ADSL technology.  If you need faster upload speeds, then you will have to look towards fibre.

Well as puleigh states, ADSL2+ can go up to 2.5mbps. Additionally not all of us are lucky (and with Openreach, that seems to be the right term) to have fibre available in their area. As soon as it becomes available i will be jumping on it, but have been waiting since September and the date just keeps being pushed back (grrrr, hurry up!).