cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banded Profiles?

mlmclaren
Grafter

Banded Profiles?

Can Plusnet assign Banded Profile to a connection manually to stop it syncing over a certain rate?
16 REPLIES 16
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Banded Profiles?

They should be able to select something from the options in the ccSNR Best Practice Guide document, although it would probably be considered a poor workaround rather than a proper fix for whatever the problem is.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Well I don't think its much of a problem more than trying to get the best balance...
Basically, I have a really long ADSL line (4.2-4.5km maybe longer) that currently is syncing at 4400+kbps on a 3db target SNR but with this comes errors... I also have interleaving enabled.
I've tried having the SNR put up to 9db to improve stability but lose to much bandwidth so if it could be set to sync at 3072kbps so theres enough bandwidth to get 2.5mbps throughput (streaming) than the line can chose it owns SNR..
I would also like to know if upload can be restricted too as that also sync at 800-900 kbps but causes alot of problems when in use... I'm assuming that if the upstream was set to 512 but could get 800 then it leaves a spare 200-300kbps free to stop instabilities ...
Not sure if this will work as i want but will look through the document listed Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I don't think any of the banded profiles will do what you want. Banded profiles with interleaving use higher levels of interleaving than normal, which would result in higher latency.
Large numbers of FEC errors (perhaps up to 1000 per second) shouldn't really be a problem. That's the interleaving automatically repairing data. Even moderate numbers of CRC errors might not cause that many problems depending on what you are doing. If the streams are pre-recorded (not live), then they can buffer ahead, and many streaming protocols use TCP so that will handle re-transmitting any packets lost packets. The DLM will increase the target SNR margin if the errors get too bad.
When you say the upload causes problems when in use - do you mean uploading at full speed results in poor download speeds at the same time? That's more of an issue with a lack of QoS or bufferbloat in your router, and reducing the available upstream bandwidth certainly won't help with that.
What modem/router are you using? Some tend to be more stable than others.
mlmclaren
Grafter

probably just have a sit down one night and dig through every errors and number on the stats page and decide whats best...
I think the issue is mainly just the long line and thats just how its going to be.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Another thing to check is the ADSL mode - ADSL1 (G.992.1), ADSL2 (G.992.3) and ADSL2+ (G.992.5).
If you can only use ADSL1, that could be because Plusnet sometimes set long lines as ADSL1 only. You'd have to ask Plusnet to change it to ADSL2+ to try ADSL2/2+.
If you're on ADSL2+, that could be because you're on the kind of line card that doesn't automatically drop down to ADSL2, and you might benefit from setting your modem to ADSL2.
If you line is running on ADSL2, that's probably already the best option.
mlmclaren
Grafter

The line can go up to ADSL2+ on 21CN but I've got it set to ADSL1
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

We have a new tool recently made available where we can do the capabilities of a SNR reset without the need for a training period.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mlmclaren
Grafter

Hi Matthew,
Hi Matthew any chance you could do a line test for us and see if any issue pop up at your end...  Smiley
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
We have a new tool recently made available where we can do the capabilities of a SNR reset without the need for a training period.

Hi Matthew, When my ADSL line was first connected up it was provisioned on 20CN and it was then moved to 21CN as an attempt to fix a line issue, could it be set back to 20CN so that my line don't try syncing at newer modes such as ADSL2+
ejs
Aspiring Hero

You can't go back to 20CN, it's being retired where 21CN is available. There's not really much difference between setting ADSL1 mode on your modem and having Plusnet provision the line as ADSL1.
Personally I found the interleaving on ADSL2 was more effective at correcting errors than on ADSL1, although ADSL1 might get a slightly higher speed. I'm on one of those lines that doesn't automatically switch from ADSL2+ to ADSL2, so my 58 dB line is slower if let to automatically use ADSL2+.
mlmclaren
Grafter

My line is 59db down atten.. on ADSL1/2 but around 62/3 on ADSL2+... and yes terrible connection when on ADSL2+ lose loads of upstream (2-300kbps) and downstream also lower..
I was just running some tests using router QOS and bandwidth management features and think I found a way to keep the line calm.... but then it completely died...
Not exactly sure what the reasons for this are though as I'm connecting remote to it it in Birmingham and I'm in W Sussex...
All I know is had terrible packet loss showing before its death!

I was saturating the connection under different router settings to see which setting could keep the line least saturated...  at around the 18 mark I was uploading from the connection and running auto tests in background and then once I had stopped upload and test it went cool for a few mins then died...
Issue at Plusnet or exchange maybe?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@The Almighty Cornholio
If you can message me the username for the ADSL line I can test it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mlmclaren
Grafter

Hi Matthew, I have dropped you a message as requested...
Could this also be actioned ASAP! http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,137897.msg1243620.html#msg1243620
Thanks Smiley
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
@The Almighty Cornholio
If you can message me the username for the ADSL line I can test it.

Any update on this Matthew?