cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad upload speed.

delta3
Dabbler

Bad upload speed.

We're on the cable unlimited package with a speed of around 6.8mbps d/l and 0.34mbps u/l. Normal internet usage is fine normally, but online FPS gaming is a nightmare. Strangely, in-game ping is fine...can be as low as 15, usually hovering around the 20-30 mark, but the hit registration is terrible. From what I've read I believe the slow upload speed to be the culprit, and I've heard at least 0.50mbps is preferable for smooth gaming.
My brother thinks the u/l is so bad because we live about a mile away from the nearest exchange, so if that is the case I wonder if anyone knows of anything at all to be done? I'm guessing a request to uncap the upload limit will have no effect considering we can't even touch the current capped u/l speed? And what about switching off this interleaving thing...will that help?
Also our ethernet switch/router thing is quite old (Draytek Vigor 2800v), and although it's enabled for ADSL+  I wonder if getting a new one would help improve the speed?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Bad upload speed.

I suggest posting the router stats as it is likely that your upload hasn't been uncapped and is still at 443/444kbps
This means we want the attenuation, speeds and noise margin
Note - you are not on cable
delta3
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick reply. And sorry yes I meant DSL not cable >_<
Anyway, the router says:
Down Speed: 8128000
Up Speed: 448000
SNR Margin: 6.0
Loop Att.: 22.0
Does that help? I'm totally out of my depth with all this stuff =S
Thanks.
jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As a first guess and a non technical reply you are stuffed as you are on 20CN and you can't get any better upload speeds without paying out a big extra cost for about twice the upload speed
However a quick check to see if you can get 21CN - put your phone number or post code in here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ and does it say anything about  WBC on 21CN
delta3
Dabbler

So http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ says: "BT have advised that this exchange is enabled for WBC on 21CN".
Yet http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker says firstly: "Wholesale Broadband Connect is available in your area" but then "There is currently no 21CN migration date for your PSTN service".
We're kind of out in the sticks geographically so I guess as you said we're up the creek. Do you think it's worth trying to turn off interleaving as a last resort?
jim:quote
flaminmoses
Grafter

.34mbps will be fine for a fps
you wont be hosting a game so you wont be messed about by lag comp
i used to have perfect gaming on fifa with about .4 mbps
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: delta3
"There is currently no 21CN migration date for your PSTN service".

That isn't relevant - if you can get WBC then you should be able to get a lot faster connection, both down and upstream.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

To add to the information posted by Jaggies, PSTN is Public Switched Telephone Network which is the telephone service and that information from Samknows merely says there is no date for switching the telephone service onto 21CN.
The broadband service on 21CN is known as WBC (Wholesale Broadband Connect) and the exchange checker says that is available. WBC supports ADSL2+ with download speeds up to 20Mbps depending on distance from the exchange. With your attenuation you'd probably get around 16Mbps. More importantly with 21CN free uncapping of upstream is available which should double your upload speeds.
Plusnet can and will switch you to WBC; in fact are you sure you are not already on it but being held back by your router being configured to connect using ADSL1 modulation (G.DMT)? This post mentions what needs to be checked/changed with a Draytek router.
David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
After checking I can see that the service is already on 21CN so I've just placed an order to uncap the upstream tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
delta3
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies. And thanks Adam for placing the uncap order.
We've checked and the router was set for ADSL1 G.DMT modulation, so we changed it to ADSL2+ (G992.5) and the ADSL Status said the down speed had increased from 8128000 to 13706500. The upspeed hasn't changed (448000) but is obviously not yet uncapped.  The router was switched off for 15 minutes but upon restart an online speed test (www.speedtest.net) showed no change in either d/l or u/l speeds.
Is there anything else that needs changing (such as any of the settings in the below pic from our Draytek Vigor 2800v router)?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi delta3,
No worries and that all looks fine to me Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I suggest you remove your user name from that screen image!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
delta3
Dabbler

Oops. Thanks jelv!
Should we not see a real-world downstream speed increase by switching the router from ADSL1 G.DMT to ADSL2+ G992.5 ?
Before:
Router 'Down speed'8[if i understand correctly, this is ADSL1 maximum?]
Online speed test~6.7[IIUC - attenuated from ADSL1 maximum]

After:
Router 'Down speed'13[shouldn't this be ~20 i.e. ADSL2+ maximum ?]
Online speed test~6.7[i.e. no change, shouldn't this be higher on ADSL2+, obviously not 20, as it would be attenuated, more like 16 as suggested by spraxyt, or 13 as per router?]
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Has the current line speed on https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed updated to match your IP profile?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
delta3
Dabbler

@jelv - from that link:
Estimated line speed:
   There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
   7.1 Mb