Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad pings on forgien servers

Cobra90
Grafter

Bad pings on forgien servers

Hey guys,
This is about of a Call of Duty 2/4 question, but is about my net ^^
Anyway, basically the title explains it, I'm gettin (in my opinion) bad pings on some german, dutch, french servers, also pretty bad on cech servers, but I know they not mean't to be great on there, but not as high as I'm getting now. My mates have the same speed as me, about some less, but they have better pings than me...I'm getting like 90-150 on the servers, which any gamer knows, is dire!
Was wondering why this is? Is it the hops between the servers? Or is it just my net...I have the Gamers Broadband you offer, so I thought I'd have really good pings on servers, especially with 6.5-72Mb connection....
Hope someone can help me...if you need any more info, just ask and I'll try and help as much as I can.
24 REPLIES 24
Cobra90
Grafter

Re: Bad pings on forgien servers

193.192.59.205:21000
That's the IP of one of my Favourite CoD2 pub servers, It's from germany, and i'm gettin 90-130 ping in it, which on my old net, i had 50-60...
do you guys get as bad pings? or is it just me/my net
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

My pings on 193.192.59.205 average 57ms with interleaving on.
David
MickKi
Grafter

Hmm, 193.192.59.205 averages on 42.720sec here, also interleaving on.  Are you using large packet sizes to test it?
James
Grafter

Hi Cobra90,
Where are you getting that information from?  Is it from doing a ping command in a command prompt?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Cobra90, you have interleaving switched on for your circuit. We could try turning it off if you like?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Cobra90
Grafter

Yeah i used Xfire ping stats and Command prompt to see what i get, get an average etc. ^^
Ermm, what is interleaving? :S don't wunna turn it off and my dad rages for turning it off lol, if you could just explain please
geewizz
Grafter

If your Dad is worried about having it off, maybe you should point him towards these forums and Bob could explain the whole thing to him.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Interleaving is a form of error correction, basically it helps maintain a stable connection on longer, noisier lines. If you're getting more than 5mb I wouldn't worry about it, and it does increase your ping times so removing it would give you a smoother gaming experience. Just depends on your line speed though.
Hope that helps,
Cobra90
Grafter

Warning! Turning interleaving off may reduce the stability of your broadband connection. We recommend leaving it turned on. If you turn interleaving off, there is no option to turn it back on again.
Is that true?
I think i got 6-7.2Mb....but our line is not "new" as this is my grandparents house, so it's pretty old, and i'm guessing the wiring between here and exchange is gunna be fairly old as well. But is that statement above true?
zubel
Community Veteran

Interleaving can be both removed and added within 24 hours.
If, when it is removed, you experience instability just come back and let Jameseh know and it will be back on by the following morning Smiley
B.
Cobra90
Grafter

Ah right, Well i guess i can try it then, just as long as if it doesnt help, or makes it worse, it can be put back on ...
but yeah, go for it, turn it off  Smiley
val
Grafter

While hunting around for a reason why our pings to some US sites seem so bad atm, I stumbled in here ... and that reminds me - a few years ago I asked if we could try having interleaving turned off on our connection, but apparently it wasn't so easy to do so in the old days  Smiley
Anyway, maybe we could have a try now?
Username: davemaclaren
(btw, I tried pinging 193.192.59.205 as above and got (min/ave/max) 63/74/94)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Cobra90
@val
I've placed a manual order on both of your lines to remove interleaving. It should be completed at some point tomorrow.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

val
Grafter

Thanks Bob