Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Bad or not?

Ben,
The results posted show a 7dB noise margin and that was 1 hour after a resync
mminghella

Thanks a lot for all of the help so far.
I'll leave it in for a few days and see what happens next.
My 2 theories for the relatively poor performace are:
1. the house was a new build (7 years ago).  When we moved in and paid BT to do the internal connection for the phone line, the engineer reliased that the monekys, I mean builders, had severed the main BT wire into the house, so he had to join in before the break on the outside.  Possibly a botch job?
2. the physical cabling around the estate.  Due ot the  way the estate was built, we were the last homes.  So, the BT cabling runs along the bottom of our close, along the backs of the homes, in at the start of the estate and then zig-zags along.  The extra cabling length must be huuuuge as we had to wait for ADSL technology to improve before we could finally have it.  Most annoyingly, we can see telegraph ploes at the end of the close, but they serve homes across the road, who when checked with a speed checker (whose name I can't remember) were all showing 6-8 meg connections while we were all lucky to get 2 meg
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Oldjim
Gah! Well spotted! I read the upstream by mistake.
@mminghella
On a 57dB loop loss line, I doubt that there's much more that we can do. Once I read your stats right, there's very little difference shown between the master socket and test socket but you can always report it to the faults team to see if there's any possibility of improvement.