cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Latency

dazco
Dabbler

Bad Latency

I have been having very bad ping times since Friday afternoon, i have reported it and await a call back but as i play the xbox it is very frustrating. My ping times from around 11.30pm until late at night fluctuate between 200ms to 700ms   yet early morning it is constant around 40ms. There is a drop in my speed but my line is syncing at the correct profile speeds. The first line tests by plusnet 1st line support show no fault but it is still under investigation by the faults team.  I think and have said this is conjestion but i joined plusnet as gaming was supposed to be a priority yet xbox for me is unplayable!!
7 REPLIES 7
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Bad Latency

HI dazco,
It all depends where you are pinging to. A lot of sites aren't set up to prioritise ping requests. Can you supply as much information as possible, as your OP is not a lot to go on.
Jojo Smiley
dazco
Dabbler

Having monitored my line since the issue began it is clear i am suffering conjestion, all day today my latency has been 40ms constant yet as soon as the kids have come home etc since 4pm my latency has gone through the roof again. I am still waiting for tech support to ring me back it has been almost 72 hours since i raised the ticket!!
My line sync is fine but my download speeds also drop when the latency rises, it peaks in an evening to around 700ms
I have pinged many sites dsl reports, google, bbc  and more
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dazco,
The first thing I would notice from your post is that this happens when your children come home. If they are using computers for any bandwidth intensive activity you will see an effect on your computers performance; as well as the fact that it is the network's busiest time.
Jojo Smiley
dazco
Dabbler

Sorry i meant when the kids came out from school not my kids. It is during peak times iam suffering which i know indicated conjestion at the exchange so Plusnet need to add some more at Dawley exchange Telford  otherwise i will be moving ISP very soon as it has already been 72 hours since i raised a ticket and have been unable to play the xbox in an evening since Friday !!!
Apprentice
Grafter

When you've time have a look at this page, it may help to confirm if it is or isn't congestion at your BT exchange.
dazco
Dabbler

Last night at around 9pm was really bad   latency was over 1200ms  and download speed was under 1mb  !!!  yet in the morning my latency was 40ms and 6.5 mb download it is definatley peak period slow downs iam seeing but after 72 hours i have still not had a call back from tech support. It is nearly 5  days that i have not been able to use my xbox in an evening and as gaming was the reason i came to plusnet iam far from happy  Angry
Type Interleave Path    
  Status SHOWTIME    
                        Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps) 8128Kb    448Kb

Noise Margin           9            25

Output power(dBm) 123     199

Attenuation(dB)        35         21
attached a screen shot of some traceroutes at 8.37pm last night.  Non peak times my connection and latency is fine but from 4pm and the rest of the night my latency goes through the roof and my speed drops but not my line profile. Highest ping i have had is 1400ms  last night

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dazco,
From that screenshot I can see you're connected wirelessly. Can you run some with a wired connection.
Jojo Smiley