Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup 56k modem Dial-up

Lee0101
Grafter

Backup 56k modem Dial-up

Hi,
Do Plusnet provide a backup 56k modem dial-up access number in case your broadband connection develops a fault and you need to check online for any possible problems?
Lee
14 REPLIES 14
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Backup 56k modem Dial-up

They used to (not sure if it's still there and still working), look in your member centre here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection&?membermenu=connectionsettings then click on 'Connection Details' and see if it's listed.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Lee0101
Grafter

It's listed as N/A.
Lee
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

I rang a few month ago regarding this, they no longer offer dial up (hence the N/A) as a back up.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That's funny as with the recent news that BT was dropping dial-up completely they said that dial-up was still available through their subsidiary Plusnet.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

I read that same article, although i can not find anywhere on PN website where they are still selling dial-up, i assume they still allow existing customers who have dial up accounts to use them, but no longer offer them as as a back up.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro

Just for interest: http://www.plus.net/support/dial-up/index.shtml
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Seems like they still sell it , just not advertise it.
If you can't get broadband or you need a dial-up account, give our sales team a call on 0800 432 0200

http://www.plus.net/support/dial-up/info/unmetered.shtml
When PN offered it as a back up when your bb connection was down, it was free.
Regards
Mike

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes I just looked myself. It used to be there under connection settings. Now it just has N/A.
Well that one slipped by quietly.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Can a PN rep tell us why are are now longer giving access to dial up? (if your bb go's down) even tho you are still selling it, according to the above link.
In connection details you still tell us you offer this feature ( then give an N/A in the relevant box)
We provide dial-up numbers for broadband accounts for emergency use. You can connect to these using a dial-up modem if you need to access the Internet from a different location, or if your broadband service is not working.

Regards
Mike

w23
Pro

Odd, mine still lists a number (no idea whether it works though).
Call me 'w23'
materialman
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I have a http://freeola.com/ PAYG dialup account for emergencies. Not as good as having it inclusive in Plusnet BB though!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

redsetter
Grafter

the plus side is that there is no £25/30 setup and disconnection fees',as mentioned BT are stopping there dial up,it looks like the talk21 mail addresses are going also.mine since held since around 1997.
at the beginning the then cable and wireless charged £10 a month to access the service and call charges on top,then freeserve started and then freephone unlimited access.but that's going back.
Lee0101
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Check http://www.plus.net/support/dial-up/setup/connection_guide.shtml

Thanks for this; i wonder if you have to specifically ask Plusnet to have the PAYG service activated then it will show up in Connection Details.
It seems strange their is a page showing a PAYG number if they have stopped offering that service though.
Lee