cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to terrible speeds.

Zozobra
Grafter

Back to terrible speeds.

Hi, You may remember me, original forum post http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,90214.0.html unfortunately I'm back to terrible speeds during peak time - I'm sure it's the exchange, my line stats are better than before. First of all there's no problems with dropped connections, no audible line noise, my stats are all good - best I've ever had in fact, but the speeds are back to an unacceptable level for the stats I have.
In my opinion BT need a fire lit underneath their backsides and they need to sort out the capacity at the exchange.
Anyway, to the stats:

ADSL Link               Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8064 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 22.0 db 13.0 db
Noise Margin             5.6 db               26.0 db
DownStream Connection Speed 8064 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
VPI                                                     0
VCI                                                     38
I've ran a BT speedtest and confirmed both BT & PlusNet IP profiles match - they do at 6500.

21 REPLIES 21
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Back to terrible speeds.

Hi Zozobra,
If you pop your number in here you'll see that the current VP at your exchange is amber, with the following message, "BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.
At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.
The ETA fix time is: Not provided by BT
Record last updated: 26 Nov 10"
I think that could be the reason, so I'll email them and see what their plans are.
Jojo Smiley
Zozobra
Grafter

Thanks for that link Joanne.
The exchange going amber actually coincides with the downturn in speeds, the problem is that the area I live in has recently been regenerated after a few years as a large scale building site, the population & thus demand for services has steadily been increassing over the last two years as people return to the area to buy in the new developments. I suspect the exchange hasn't been upgraded much in the last five years, and that the exchange is under a lot of strain, particularly at peak times.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

hi Zozobra,
I suspect you may be right there. Once i get a reply form the email we might get an idea of what the likely course is, so I'll let you know when I get a reply.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi zozobra,
Had this reply this morning...
[quote=email]Hi Joanne,
The VP for this circuit has been checked and has been found to have breached a trigger threshold instigating congestion relief.  A regrade is scheduled, however there are delays published preventing this work. We should have further information when the next report is published on 03/12/2010.
I'll email them for an update after tomorrow.
Jojo Smiley
Zozobra
Grafter

Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate it.
Zozobra
Grafter

it's reassuring to know this doesn't just affect me, the SMALLBROOK exchange is notorious for being oversubscribed over a period of years, I've found this thread with a lot of very angry people - http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Slow-broadband-on-the-Smallbrook-exchange/td-p/64071 - What gets me is that in the city centre of the second biggest city in the UK there is no LLU providers, extremely limited - 1 or 2 streets - fibre optic cable access, no 21CN, no indication of FTTC or FTTH ever coming. It's an utter disgrace.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Zozobra,
I've now received the email update...
[quote=email]The VP for this circuit has been checked and has been found to have breached a trigger threshold instigating congestion relief.  A regrade is scheduled, however there are delays published preventing this work. We should have further information when the next report is published on 10/12/2010
All I can say is that I can check again after the 10th.
Jojo Smiley
Zozobra
Grafter

Can anybody advise what an MUX upgrade is? One of the guys on the BT forum thread I posted above has managed to get BT to admit this upgrade - which should reduce the massively oversubscribed exchange - is delayed until February 2011.
Zozobra
Grafter

Any updates from BT? Speeds still bad - even off peak
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Zozobra,
I've sent an email this morning to ask for an update. I'll let you know when I get a reply.
Jojo Smiley
Zozobra
Grafter

Any update on my issue? The poster above should start their own thread, their issue is nothing to do with the smallbrook exchange and it's oversubscribed status. Talk about thread hijacking....
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

mod:note
Thread now split.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Zozobra,
I've just sent another email. I'll let you know once I get a response.
Jojo Smiley
Zozobra
Grafter

I've a bad feeling the February date on the BT forums could be accurate.  Cry