cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to stone age for £15.99/month.

daliup

Back to stone age for £15.99/month.

Hi,
I have been with PlusNet for over 6 years now. With me having to move I moved my broadband with me o my new address and God, what a change. I used to get speeds of up to 800kb/s more or less and now, well... my UPP spead is much better than my DOWN speed!
This time I had to get the PHONE + Broadband package from PlusNet because I thought, no point in getting BT Landline and then PlusNet Broadband seperatly. The moving process of my broadband was flawless, lines got connected even before given dates, which was nice. But, since DAY ONE I was NOT getting anything faster than 140kb/s - I thought that was odd! Then when I missed my payment (due to financial problems) the speed just went right down! I am getting 0.13kb/s!!! - my UPP speed is 0.37kb/s-ish!!! What happened?!
Sure, the internet is useless to me. What am I supposed to do with this 😕
When went on the PlusNet site, and order for a Test to be performed (there is an option on the site for that) - The speed just magically went back up to 150kb/s for a few hours only, and went back down to 0.11, 0.13, 0.15 kb/s and around that.

I did contact PlusNet, was asked to reset myrouter, no help, I even got my old Binatone ADSL 500 model and I'm having the same speeds with that (although, when connecting with Binatone modem, it actually shows me that my connection speed is 1.6MBs - why is that?!
What could the problem be? Anyone any idea? Sad
If this doesn't get fixed, I am stuck witha 12 month contract that is useless to me and I'm just wasting my money, which, at this moment having been made redundant, is a LOT of money (£15.99) - is there no way to cancel the contract? - Wish I had my old option where I had a MONTLY contract and didn't have to worry, cold cancel anytime.
Now, I don't know what the problem is, PlusNet are saying my account is set to the highest speed, and there are no problems at their end - what could be wrong at my end? I've tried every single pone socket in my flat, same results.
I am using NETGEAR Router.
Can someone help me out please?

Thank you very much.
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Back to stone age for £15.99/month.

We should be able to help you. Can you post the following information please.
The information your router shows on the Show Statistics page.
E.g.
ADSL Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 832 kbps
Line Attenuation 20 db 6.5 db
Noise Margin 9 db 16 db

The results shown by the BT speedtester
The current line rate shown on https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi,
sorry to hear about your situation. Just an additional point to what jelv has already mentioned, did your account get paid upto date, I believe they are restricted if payments go wrong? Hopefully one of the Comms team will see this in the morning and check everything is in order from that point.
I'm sure once we have the data jelv has requested, we'll be able to help you get the best from your line. There may also be network issues causing low throughput speeds.
daliup

I will have the information in the morning, as after finishing the BT tester test I had to reboot my laptop (was forced to due to updates and forgot to save the test results) - so I need to wait till I am allowed to do another test. Sad
What I have noticed though, is, when I clicked on this link ( https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ) - the link has my OLD 'BT' Landline number from my old place and not my NEW PlusNet Landline number, would that matter much?
daliup

Ok, here are my results:
My Router Statistics:

BT Tester:
<--- better quality of above
Current Line Rate:

So these are my results. As mentioned before, in the current line rate site it's showing my OLD BT landline number and not my NEW PlusNet number, does this matter?
And sorry I think I might have mixed up the speeds with kbs and mbs and so on etc. etc. etc. - but the matter of fact, I am gettng extremely low speeds.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi, thanks for the results.
One tip to start, if you use the reply button just below the last post, you will find an Additional Options button just below the box where you can attach images saved on your computer. Personally with BT Speedtest results, I just do a text copy and paste from below the title 'Test Results' in to a text file to keep and just paste that here as well.
If you login here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=edit_details&s=0 at the member centre and make sure that all your details are correct, then hopefully as I mentioned earlier, one of the Comms team can check everything on your account is in order.
The reason you have such bad throughput results is the 250 profile/line rate at the member centre, this should update automatically within 12 hrs to match the BT profile if you hold your current sync speed. If that's the case, the Comms team can kick it for you if it hasn't automatically updated.
You must have had a low sync event to get that low profile and that along with what seems like a Target Noise Margin of 15 dB means you won't get the best speed from your line. It all suggests you have a noisy line or maybe some unfiltered equipment on the line. Have you noticed any drops in sync?
Apart from advising that if/as soon as you have the opportunity to run the BT speedtest again and it gives the choice to run further tests, do so to completion, if you could also do the following -
First please check your phone line - can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other intermittent noise on the line? Dial a 1 to get rid of the dial tone. If you need more time before the NUT (number unobtainable tone) dial the quiet line test 17070 option 2. (Don't use any ringback or other test). Who is your Telephone Line Rental provider?
If you could you give an Outline description of your installation -
1) Do you have an NTE5 Master LineBox (the type with the removable lower front plate) and which logo it has on it.?
2) Whether you have any fixed extension wiring and sockets & how many, and roughly how the cables go from one to another;
3) What filters do you have and where is the Modem/Router plugged in?
4) Do you have a corded phone, do you have a cordless phone - if so what type - DECT or Analogue?
5) Is any other POTS (plain old telephone service) equipment (Faxes, Answer phones, Sky boxes or Alarms systems etc) plugged in/connected.
An important tip: When you need to swap things around for testing, powerdown your modem/router and wait several minutes before unplugging anything that disconnects it from the line eg. it's cable, the filter, master faceplate etc. Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day. This is to help prevent the exchange DLM (dynamic line management) from thinking you have an worse intermittent line problem than you may have.
If you hear noise on your phone line, you need to confirm you can hear crackling or other intermittent noise on your phone at the test socket, plug a corded phone direct into the test socket and confirm it is still present. If so, phone your line provider (151 option 2 if BT), and go directly to speak to an adviser, do so whilst the noise is still present, and try and do so quickly before you receive an incoming call because ringing on the line can often clean a bad connection. Do not use any automated tests and do not mention the broadband this is a phone fault you are reporting, otherwise you'll get given the run around. Make sure the adviser can hear the noise, get them to confirm it and log it and log it as intermittent with the request that they ensure Openreach are made aware it's intermittent.
I don't know when you last rebooted your modem/router, but I'd suggest you do a powerdown reboot mid-late morning, post the stats taken immediately after sync, and then leave the modem/router on 24/7. The good news is that under good conditions your line ought to achieve around a 3M profile.