Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back @ PN

Reddog
Grafter

Back @ PN

Hi,
So i'm back at PN Smiley
First thing is, can i haz fast path back on please. I seemed to have gained a lot of latency all of a sudden :(.
I'm waiting for fibre and that's something else i wanted to ask, can you get fastpath on fibre?
Or does it even need it?
Anyway all seems to be working fine but i was told i would get a Fibre router even though i was going on to adsl first.
This router you sent me doesn't support fibre, so does that mean you are gonna charge me for a new router once i switch over to fibre?
Also a bit worried about my upload speed atm, hardly getting any upload what so ever, had a 1mb up with TT, now it is like .2mb, thats terrible since i do do a lot of uploading sometimes aswell.
Will test another of my routers to see if it's better, a netgear i have seems to give really good upload speeds at the small cost of a bit of dl speed, i don't mind that.
Anyway thank you for reading.
Also i nearly forgot, we asked for a phone number change as well but you don't seem to have listened to us Sad
24 REPLIES 24
x47c
Grafter

Re: Back @ PN

On FTTC the line status re fastpath/interleaving is not under the control of the ISP.
The decision as to what a line should be set at is arrived automatically and is decided by the DLM.
It may change back and fro depending
The ISP cannot overrule that decision.
sounds like for the moment  you have been put on a capped upload
Needs uncapping by PN staff.
Reddog
Grafter

Every ISP i have ever been with can change to fast path, or ask BT for it to be changed, i've been on fast path for over 10 years on this same line. So i don't think you are correct m8.
As you can see from my post count, even though i only got PN today my old account is still up and running, and yes PN has put me on fast path the last time i was here.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Have you been on fibre all that time?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Reddog
Grafter

No we haven't had fibre here until a few months ago and we have never had it yet.
I was on TT LLU 24mb/2mb. Of which had fast path on and i was getting 18mb and about 1mb up and my UK latencies were amazing, like 20ms tops.
We tried to get fibre but they wanted a big chunk of money up front and it was like the middle of the month and we didn't have that amount in the bank at the time, so PN said not to worry we will put you on adsl for now and you will still get a FIBRE router sent so you can easily switch once the BT engineer hooks you up.
Seems like we are paying for fibre as well even though it hasn't even been ordered yet.  
Reddog
Grafter

What, there's a forum rule somewhere saying you can't quote people these days?
Seriously? wow.  Why not just remove the quote button then, since it's not allowed.
There's two people that have replied, at least for my second post, maybe first quote was not needed but still, it's a bit lame to start editing and removing part of a New users first few posts. Thanks for that i feel very welcome here now. Really starting to think now that this move was a mistake.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Of course you can quote people. What isn't allowed is a full quote of the post directly above. The rule is there for readability purposes alone, not for anything else. If it wasn't there you could end up with achingly long posts with people constantly quoting each other over and over.
In your case though, you were only quoting a single sentence, so not really excessive but still falls foul of the rule.
On your other questions. You can have PN request to have interleaving turned off but this is for the copper broadband service. For FTTC (fibre) this option is not available for PN to intervene on you behalf.
Hope that's cleared some things up for you.
That's RPM to you!!
xreyuk
Grafter

Quote from: Reddog
No we haven't had fibre here until a few months ago and we have never had it yet.
I was on TT LLU 24mb/2mb. Of which had fast path on and i was getting 18mb and about 1mb up and my UK latencies were amazing, like 20ms tops.
We tried to get fibre but they wanted a big chunk of money up front and it was like the middle of the month and we didn't have that amount in the bank at the time, so PN said not to worry we will put you on adsl for now and you will still get a FIBRE router sent so you can easily switch once the BT engineer hooks you up.
Seems like we are paying for fibre as well even though it hasn't even been ordered yet. 
[Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]

You can get fast path on ADSL.
You cannot get fast path on FTTC, as the ISPs have no control over the lines, BT have all of the control, and leave everything to DLM.
Reddog
Grafter

Thank you RPMozley for that reply.
That's all i wanted to now really. So basically you can't get fast path with fibre but you can with adsl.
Things have obviously changed a lot here @PN. Last time i was with PN a member of staff would of answered me by now.
Maybe they don't reply as often now as the old days when PN was a smaller ISP, i remember getting replies @ 3 am or anytime really.
So really just a few things still bothering me at the minute.
1) Why was my home phone number not changed, i explicitly asked for a change. Didn't get one.
2)We were told we would get a fibre ready router and we never got one.
3) We seem to be getting charged for Fibre Extra even though we've not on a fibre package.
These things need to be cleared up by PN as to what going on.
Thanks Alison.
@Xreyuk, i thought PN was BT or at least had some control over the BT lines.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Alison,
You can get fast path on FTTC, but if DLM spots a number of errors on your line, it'll switch Interleaving on and we can't force it back off. The pings will still be pretty low, low enough for almost any game/service.
We do sometimes post in our time on the Forums, but as the team gets into the office at 9am, I think we'd be pretty tired if we stayed up until the likes of 3am.
1. It looks as though the message for a new number didn't get noted, I'm sorry about that. I've requested a new number and we should have that ready for you by Friday
2. We'd send you out a Fibre router as part of your Fibre order when it becomes available
3. You're not being billed for Fibre Extra, just ADSL Unlimited. You can see this from the initial invoice (Invoice# 51416171) you can also see the Special Offer Discount on that bill too as part of the deal you signed up to.
We have a good amount of control over ADSL but this isn't the case for FTTC, yet.
Reddog
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your help.
I have no clue as to what we even signed up for in the end. Since both adsl and fibre contracts are different and i see no sign of anything i could read to see what we ending up getting, by that i mean deal wise. I'm sure we got a 6 month lower price deal or maybe not, thats my point i don't see what deal we ended up with.
Of course i know we ended up with Unlimited adsl but i was told by the kind lady on the phone that she would put a marker on the account for it to be upgraded as soon as we got online.
She also said we would get a fibre router sent from the start(even though it was agreed to put us on adsl to start with), one with the red socket on the back or something she said because we do want fibre, just never had the funds available at that very time to pay for the fibre straight away.
I even told her that we would phone back in a few days when our wages would of been available to order fibre outright, but she insisted on closing the deal there and then. So maybe she told us a few porkies just to make a sale? Smiley
Now i'm worried we will get billed again for another router and what will happen with this one. It's such a waste of a £40 router. Also we wanted to wait for wages so we could get a money off deal on the 18 month fibre contract, but as we are now already members we won't get a deal on fibre? The whole deal coming back to PN feels a bit shady tbh, seems i have been sort of tricked into something i/we didn't really want Sad
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Alison,
I'm sorry that you feel that way. I've opened Ticket: 87898819 which I hope covers the issues you're concerned about?
Reddog
Grafter

Thank you PN and Chris.
This is resolved Very honourably much to my satisfaction.
Only thing Chris is the link in email/ticket for the fibre upgrade you sent me doesn't work.
All i get when i go to it is this message. Not totally sure if that link in the email is set up just for me or can i just go through the website normally?

Application error
Sorry, there has been an error. The error has been recorded and our development staff will investigate.
You will be automatically redirected to the main page in six seconds.
Thanks again. Alison

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Alison,
Sorry that link doesn't work. The link was supposed to take you to the 'Product Change' page so you could upgrade to Fibre.
If you visit http://portal.plus.net and log in there should be a link for 'Product Change' if you click on there....that's where I was trying to link you too, but it looks as though it hasn't worked for some reason 😕
Reddog
Grafter

Thanks Chris, much appreciated. Received the fibre router this morning and have changed my package to the 40/20. Just got to wait now for the engineer.
Can you please look into why my internet keeps getting restrictions placed on it.
It was even taken down today for non payment and i keep seeing warnings on the website about money owed.
Plus i keep getting emails like this one for some reason.

Dear Miss Graham,
Account username: xxxxxxxxxx
We'd like to remind you again that payment is still due on your Plusnet account.
To avoid any restrictions to your service you should pay within the next 4 days.
Payment due
-----------
Amount owed: £0.00
Date payment was due: 14-06-2014