cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BTW Speedtest repors upload speed 0.00Mbps

tydfil

BTW Speedtest repors upload speed 0.00Mbps

Have been waiting for someone at PN to answer the phone!
I have an interesting problem.  My PC is connected by cable to the router. Three days ago some websites were not loading at all whilst others seemed to be very slow.  I use Opera so I tried Chrome and Firefox with the same results..  I have also tried with a second router with same results.  I have plugged the routers into the socket under the BT faceplate with the same result.  My router statistics are:
Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps) : 6272                     448
SNR Margin (dB) : 5.8                   19.0
Attenuation (dB) : 45.0                   24.0
Output Power (dBm) : 19.8                 11.9
I ran a BER test with zero errors.  There is a delay before pages start loading and elements may load fast and then grind to a halt and sometimes the server times out.
BT Wholesale speed checker reports upstream speed  to be 5.19Mbps, so OK, but download is zero and latency varies wildly from 0ms to nearly 200ms.  Further analysis fails with a connection timed out or Further diagnosis reports:
“Results
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 4.85 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.”
I find that several of my neighbours are experiencing the same problem, which I therefore assume to be with the local exchange, as they use different ISPs.
6 REPLIES 6
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: BTW Speedtest repors upload speed 0.00Mbps

Hi tydfil,
Sorry for the wait on the phone. Has the issue been resolved? Your line appears much better this morning.
tydfil

Sorry!  My line is just the same.  In fact your server timed out while I was trying to open a page to post this reply.  Have run the BTW Speedtest with the same results.  https requests seem to be particularly effected. Maybe they involve more upstream requests?  This is not a "line" problem.  I can watch youtube fine once it gets started.  But starting any connection is slow (and often times out) and pages consisting of numerous elements stall very quickly after they start to load.  The upstream speed of 0.00Mbps is a bit of a giveaway. As I mentioned in my post, even the BTW Fault Diagnosis errors every time:
“Results
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 4.85 Mbps
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.”
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I don't tend to always believe what every speed tester tells me which is why I looked at your raw line stats instead. Your Speed Test results haven't been uploaded to the servers we use to access the results you got, so I think the Speed Tester probably isn't working properly.
I've attached your line stats, along with a copper line test.
Your download and upload speeds look fine from the testing that I've done. If the BTW Speedtester isn't working, can you try http://speedtest.net and let us know what speeds you get on that? I'd advise doing any speed tests via Ethernet as Wireless Speeds aren't very accurate.
The page timeout that you received is a Forum issue which is currently under investigation, so isn't linked to any issues you're having with your connection directly.
tydfil

I am sorry you are not able to take my own observations seriously.  Your forum time out is one of many in the last few days and not related to your server, I think.
The BTW Speedtest fails to complete because my upstream speed is so slow.  I have used several other speedtesters with exactly the same result.
I have just tested my ftp upload and find the connection is lost very quickly "Error: Connection timed out
Error: File transfer failed after transferring 143,080 bytes in 21 seconds"
The speedtester you suggested gives Ping 75ms, Upstream 4.91 Mbps, Downstream 0.01Mbps.
I tried to send an attached screengrab but another connection closed message.
tydfil

Tried to send a screengrab 200kb "An Error Has Occurred!
Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow."
so now try a much smaller version of 39kb
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've tried to be helpful, I'm sorry if that hasn't come across.
If you'd like for us to investigate a problem with your line, you can raise a fault online at http://faults.plus.net