cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BTW Profile=5.12 but Plusnet Profile is 0,2 - Not reset by Support as promised

lyndonp
Grafter

BTW Profile=5.12 but Plusnet Profile is 0,2 - Not reset by Support as promised

I had a fault on the phone line last Wednesday night reported to PN 8am last Thursday. They said an Openreach engineer had to come to the house, earliest was Monday. Two OR guys came yesterday, spent 4 hours tracing and fixing a fault on the pole outside.
Phone working but broadband slow at 0.2 (usually around 4.5)
Reported to PN on a ticket 6pm yesterday, Monday 1/12/14. PN support replied straight away saying aim to address in 24hrs and an internal note on the ticket saying to contact customer once results were in. No response to ticket by 4:30pm this afternoon which was very annoying so I phoned up. Lad agreed speed slow at 0.2 but said I would need to do further tests at my end and then they would need to send an engineer round. I told him it was more likely the fact the phone had been off and it needed resetting. He was not aware of this which was a little surprising.
Anyway, he spoke to his manager and told me his manager would reset it and it could take up to 4 hours. It's almost 5 hours and it is still at 0.2
Now I don't know if he did something or not as my router is syncing at 5.8 whereas it wasn't last night, BUT my Plusnet profile is stil at 0.2 and throttling my connection.
BTW is showing a profile 5.12

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.18 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.12 Mbps

PLEASE can somebody reset my Plusnet profile

8 REPLIES 8
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: BTW Profile=5.12 but Plusnet Profile is 0,2 - Not reset by Support as promised

So in the Members Portal it's showing still as 0.2 Mb? (Direct link)
That's RPM to you!!
lyndonp
Grafter

Re: BTW Profile=5.12 but Plusnet Profile is 0,2 - Not reset by Support as promised

Yes, still showing as 0.2mb in the Members Portal and running like an absolute dog!
BTW IP Profile showing as 5.12
Router syncing at 5.8
I was promised it would be reset and could take up to 4 hours. That was 6 hours ago. I don't know if they meant the BT profile and they forgot to reset this as well, but I think if the PN one is changed I should be flying again.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Idiots! Resetting the current line speed takes minutes. They obviously haven't tried to do the right thing. Angry
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
lyndonp
Grafter

I've got up this morning and My Members Portal is now showing a current speed of  5.1 and not the 0.2 it had been doing.
Router still showing 5.8 but speed not improved so switched router off (I jhad been told to leave it switched on by the reply to the ticket on Monday evening) and switched it back on.
Router synced at 5.9 and everything appears to be good now.
Not sure if somebody at PN Towers reset the PN side but everything looking good now Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: lyndonp
Router still showing 5.8 but speed not improved so switched router off (I jhad been told to leave it switched on by the reply to the ticket on Monday evening) and switched it back on.

Oops! You seem to have got away with this this time but for future reference you do need to avoid rebooting the router if possible. What you should have done is go in to the router's interface (http://192.168.1.254) and clicked Disconnect waited half a minute then click Connect. That forces the connection to pick up the changed current line speed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
lyndonp
Grafter

Thanks for that reminder Jelv. It is is literally years since I have had any issues and had forgotten about doing that.
Hopefully now it is at a reasonable speed it can do its training over the next 10 days and settle down to a stable speed around 4.5 -5.
The OR engineer fitted a new updated OR Primary socket faceplate just as a matter of course even though that wasn't the issue with my phone line, and told my wife it would be better. My old faceplate was the original BT one I had fitted around 1987/8 time when you paid £25 I think it was, to BT so you could plug your own phone in, instead of the old hardwired GPO oval type box that your BT/GPO rented phone was wired into!
If I can get an extra .1 or .2 from that new faceplate to get to nearly 5mb that would be a bonus after being without a connection since last Wednesday! Smiley

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately it appears the agent you spoke to requested an SNR reset rather than just update the profile on your account. Glad to see it's working now and I'll pass feedback on so they know in future.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
lyndonp
Grafter

Thanks for the feedback Chris.
Just to add my comments on this issue.
I was surprised that the agent I spoke to seemed to know nothing about resetting profiles when there had been issues on the phone line which can result in profiles at both BTW and Plusnet being affected and needing a kick start. Surely that is basic stuff?
I don't know if I needed an SNR reset or just the Plusnet profile on my account or both, but I knew one or other or both needed sorting! Maybe the SNR reset had an effect as my router was reporting a sync speed of 5.8 an hour later when I got home when the previous night it had been in the .2 region as I didn't check it yesterday morning before leaving for work.
What concerned me he was trying to take me down the path of testing my equipment again and potentially arranging another engineer's visit when a simple reset first should have been the first course of action if the history of the fault was looked into. How many other people not knowing what I knew would have wasted time on it?
The other thing which I thought was poor and caused frustration was the lack of response to the ticket I posted around 6pm on Monday night. The message below was posted to the ticket within a few minutes but no action was taken in about 23 hours, hence my call to support.
"Our Faults Team will investigate this further and aim to respond to you within 24 hours...................................
[INTERNAL]
Please investigate and contact customer once the KBD results are returned. "
I would have expected anybody looking at the ticket and seeing the phone line had been fixed after being out for so longmight  just twig the profile(s) needed kicking and done it that night or the next morning?Huh
Not what I would have expected from the Plusnet of old.