cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BTO/Plusnet think this is acceptable

LenAsh
Grafter

BTO/Plusnet think this is acceptable

Here again - the congestion is just getting worse and worse. PN blame BT, BT blame PN.
Between 6.30pm and midnight I cannot;
Use Amazon Prime
Stream Youtube in 480 or above
Use Skype to talk to my dad in Crete
Download anything significant
Let my daughters use their XBOX to play live games

I now have my Sam Knows White Box... this should be interesting.
234 REPLIES 234
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: BTO/Plusnet think this is acceptable

Hi Ash,
The only grounds upon which any blame can be ascribed to PlusNET is if the value under "current speed" on the portal is different to the BT reported profile figure.
I take it that you have an open fault report for which PN has identified a problem with BTOR infrastructure?  Note BTOR engineers on the ground often have little clear understanding of how this all works when the fault is not obvious - especially if they are sub contractors.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Better ask the obvious question, here's the link for you Kevin - must be on the iPad again  Roll_eyes - LenAsh have you checked your Current Line speed (Login required) ?
Although, if this is only between 6.30 pm and midnight it's not likely to be that. Has anyone at Plusnet looked at your Traffic Management Profile?
LenAsh
Grafter

My line speed is 41.4 Mbps as always.
My main gripe with PN is that they have just stated that BT may have congestion or contention problems of a level that they won't correct as it is not sufficiently bad. I beg to differ.
The 2 engineer visits simply confirmed the sync rate was fine. Which it is. It's throughput.
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry, see my edit.
LenAsh
Grafter

They've never mentioned Traffic Management...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Anotherone,
Ash has had a long on going issue with operational speeds since his fibre was installed back in May, at that time it was thought that his fibre modem had got twisted knicker elastic - see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,127230.msg1108777.html#msg1108777
I wonder if the modem is squiff or there is REIN given he perceives performance to be poorer in the evening.  This could be RFI / EMI or just plain cross talk.  Thanks to BT locking down their modems so that Joe Public cannot see how well (or poorly) their service is performing, the usual method for looking for REIN cannot be applied here.
And yes I am back on the iPad!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LenAsh
Grafter

BT ruled out REIN - they did some checking at 9pm a few weeks back. For another reason, allegedly, although I don;t believe them completely.
The "daytime" performance is top-notch. I never get any dropouts or disconnects - ever.
Anotherone
Champion

Townman, if it were REIN his sync speed would have gone down.
LenAsh, if you've got an open ticket on your issue, post the ticket number here and hopefully one of the CRT (the new DCT) will pick this up tomorrow.
Are you on a fixed IP at all? Also has anyone asked you to run a speedtest with a computer connected directly to the Modem (no Router)? You need to set up a "Dial" connection on the PC for that. Are you using Windows? I'll see if I can find the link for that if you haven't already been asked and told how to do it.
LenAsh
Grafter

I have an open ticket. #89348076
I'm on a static IP - er why?
All the tests are directly on the ECI modem.
Anotherone
Champion

Using a PPPoE Dialler setup? Details here if not.
Great with the static IP.  You could setup a TBB Ping monitor, with that and your Sam Knows box,  that should really highlight the issues.
Kevin Townman can tell you how to setup the TBB monitor, he's done a few Wink You'll need to log into the Router Firewall and allow it to accept pings (assuming we don't prove it's the router meanwhile).
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ash,
I guess Anotherone is thinking about suggesting setting up a think broadband quality monitor.

Anotherone,
Surely there are margins of latitude, REIN might well depress synch, however within some margin, synch will remain static whilst SNRM falls and errors give rise for retransmission and a consequential impact on data speeds?
Kevin

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Ash,
I was right, just got a PM from AO.  Look here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106312.0.html - and follow the link to Think broadband.  You'll have to register with TBB, then you can set up the BQM from there.
You'll have to configure the router to respond to WAN pings.
Any questions, please ask.
Kevin

Anotherone
Champion

Kevin, I would guess that if REIN was bad enough to be causing sufficient errors to slow the throughput speed that severely, then there would be an impact on sync. I thought Fibre DLM was quite aggressive in this respect. But as you and I are both guessing in this respect, it really needs one of the fibre gurus that frequent the forum to comment. (I'll see if I can track one down).
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Anotherone,
More to the point it needs a PlusNET fibre guru on the case... Oh but he's got a new role and only one of the replacements is active in the forums today.