cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT wholesale have cut me off. Could it be BT dirty tricks? How do I get reconnected ASAP?

canonburyexchng
Dabbler

BT wholesale have cut me off. Could it be BT dirty tricks? How do I get reconnected ASAP?

So after years of really really awful service from BT retail, we changed to plus.net last November and in a two week period plus net sorted our problems which were with wire cables/connectors under the pavements outside the house] and gave us an excellent conection with fast speeds which worked perfectly until Friday.
[see my first thread last Nov]

All that despite threats from BT retail customer support that if we [dared to] switch to plus net our internet would not work as "well" [ROFL] would be broken etc etc. I have a recording of that call and I laughed openly at the ridiculousness of the young west-country punk that BT employ which may have annoyed him.

On Friday we started to get a message from BT wholesale saying
"Your service provider is currently unable to accept your connection request, please wait and reattempt later or contact your service provider for more information. " etc etc.

I spent the obligatory hour checking things on my side/my machine and eventually called plus.net support on my landline - same physical line - who said there is a problem at the exchange.

They commented that the tel line works as the broadband is fibre which makes sense and confirms the problem is at the exchange{/cabinet?} or further away from us.
Could it also be at the box/cabinet on the street or does the split between fibre for bb and wires for tel only occur at the exchange?

They then requested a date for service from "their supplier" - I don't think they explicitly said it was BT but the message on my screen explicitly says BTwholesale.

The date is Tuesday so 5 days with no internet part or all of the day IF they fix it on Tuesday.
Plus.net have confirmed that with an email. All good except for the date 5 days away.

Since occupants of a flat next door-but-one moved on Friday, I suspect that may be the cause. However I also remember the BTthreat. Paranoid too much?

So, QUESTIONS for the lovely folk here at plus net:

1. [most important:] Is just letting plus net support get on with it the best choice or will pushing-insisting-hassling help?

2. What are my rights to get this reconnected  as soon as possible?

3. Do I have any rights to get info about who did what to cause this?

4. Is it only in my head that this could possibly be linked to the threats from BT retail last November?
This is of interest since if BT stoop this low and [I assume] this illegal in their dirty tricks, we may conclude the only option  is to switch to cable and remove any power/access from BT over our connection.

[least important: 5. Will we get some compensation - is that related to ccost of using per Mb mobile or a fixed amount - if I use the BT [eeergh] per day/5 days/month payment plan on an unsecured network - I assume one of my neighbours router - will I get that refunded and will plus net be able to get payment from BT]

TIA for any replies.

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: BT wholesale have cut me off. Could it be BT dirty tricks? How do I get reconnected ASAP?

Do you seriously think that BT would deliberately cut you off as punishment for moving to another BT company!

In answer to your questions:

1. May help but if one of the Plusnet staffers come along and pick up this post then let them get on with it for a few days at least.

2. If the fault is reported then it will be addressed when BT get around to it. Rights? None.

3. None. 

4. Yes, it's all in your head.

5. You will be compensated, if you ask, for the days rental when you were without broadband. You may be able to screw a 'goodwill' gesture but you won't get compensated for consequential losses.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

canonburyexchng
Dabbler

Re: BT wholesale have cut me off. Could it be BT dirty tricks? How do I get reconnected ASAP?

Thanks for the reply.

"Do you seriously think that BT would deliberately cut you off as punishment for moving to another BT company!"

I would not have seriously thought BT would do any of the things they did last year [including attempted slamming] before .... eeerm .... they did them !!

I'm happy to keep an open mind about what caused the current problem but it's the first time we've had this specific set of symptoms [in over a decade of using that line at this address with 3 providers]. Previous problems before we changed to plus.net were line completely down so no message from BT wholesale.

To help anyone else who land here from a search three now allow you to enable a hotspot on your mobile and connect your pc/tv that way. 30 day data packs are 1G for a tenner, 5G for 15 quid, etc. Not long ago AFAIK all mobile co.s data packs had T+C that disallowed hotspot use with data packs.

canonburyexchng
Dabbler

Just realised you were referring to the fact BT owns plus.net. I knew that already but ....

I understood last year that they are run as pretty much completely seperate companies. Especially the tech support being run by a band of competent lads and lasses in Sheffield who have little in common with BT.

Has that changed?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

They are still run as a separate brand.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@canonburyexchng sorry to hear about your problems. I do think you are over thinking it a little.

Someone in customer retentions who does a bad job of convincing you to stay, by suggesting you might get a degraded service, is hardly what I would consider a threat. But that is a spearate (irrelevant) issue really.

It sounds like your neighbours moved out - a cessation of service took place - an engineer went to the exchange and unplugged (my technical term) their BB. They have either accidentally cut you off, or the switch wasn't labelled correctly or they nudged something when unplugging your neighbours. It does happen. Some exchanges are literally a birdsnest of wires and very confusing.

Hopefully PN will get a BT engineer out and they'll plug you back in.

You may prove us all wrong and it turns out there is a global conspiracy theory that can be traced back to Mr Putin (you ever been to Russia?).

Hope you get it sorted.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

From what I can see we've tested your line and found a potential line fault.

We've been given an estimated response time of by 10/04/18 23:59:59.

Hopefully it's a quick fix once our suppliers pick the job up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
canonburyexchng
Dabbler

Well our connection was back up within a few days and a further few days [really] later plus.net sent a message:

>>>

We have had confirmation from our suppliers that your phone fault should now be fixed. We have checked the line and everything appears to be in order but we are not able to account for every eventuality. If your service is still not working please get back in touch and we will be happy to investigate further for you. *INTERNAL* Main Fault Location: CE (Fault located between DP and customer apparatus (no appointment required)) Fault Code: NSY (Noisy) Clear Code: 81.4 Clear Message: Cleared in PCP

<<<

Guessing that internal stuff has a meaning, could someone possibly translate for me? I have asked plus.net twice to tell me why we were cut off. No satisfactory answer so far. I understand enough to know it was "our suppliers" [do you mean BT/Openreach?].

I don't have a problem accepting mistakes happen but I do think a fix could have been given more priority given that it was a problem caused by plus.net and/or "our suppliers".

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Well our connection was back up within a few days

Glad to hear that.

Guessing that internal stuff has a meaning, could someone possibly translate for me?

From this "Clear Message: Cleared in PCP" it looks like the fault lay in the cabinet.

I understand enough to know it was "our suppliers" [do you mean BT/Openreach?].

That's correct.

I don't have a problem accepting mistakes happen but I do think a fix could have been given more priority given that it was a problem caused by plus.net and/or "our suppliers".

I am sorry that you experienced a fault with your service.

Unfortunately, due to how phone/broadband works, faults can occur and all we can do is report them to our suppliers when/if they do, and I'm afraid that we can't prioritise faults on residential accounts unless in extenuating circumstances, for example welfare cases which need to meet certain criteria.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button