cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT wholesale DB issue or just no FTTC in this area of north london?

plexy
Grafter

BT wholesale DB issue or just no FTTC in this area of north london?

Hi plusnet,
A friend of mine is thinking of coming over to plusnet and we are having some difficulty finding the services available to him. According to samknows, FTTC is available on his exchange and postcode,and mostother broadband checkers show FTTC is available. However the bt wholesale checker indicates only 21WBC ADSL2+ is available at his postcode. Seems unusual for an area of north london thats FTTC enabled. Is this a database issue at BTW? what shows as available for you?
Postcode is N10 1LS
3 REPLIES 3
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BT wholesale DB issue or just no FTTC in this area of north london?

given that the postcode checker gives the same result for several postcodes around the country I would ignore it and just use the phone number checker, as an indication of how poor the postcode checker is it lists adsl2 as the best for my location yet I am on fttc , the phone number checker also lists a slower speed than I have but at least it correctly identifies the products available ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
houlton23
Grafter

Looks like that postcode is served by 2 cabinets (9 and 31) as checking number 50 gives:

Address 50 WILTON ROAD, MUSWELL HILL, LONDON, N10 1LS on Exchange MUSWELL HILL is served by Cabinet 9
WBC FTTC Up to 56.5 Up to 15.7 -- Available

Yet checking lower street numbers gives no mention of FTTC:
Address 14 WILTON ROAD, MUSWELL HILL, LONDON, N10 1LS on Exchange MUSWELL HILL is served by Cabinet 31
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 8 -- 5.5 to 12.5 Available

So it looks like Cabinet 31 is either:
a) Not being upgraded,
b) Full
c) In the process of being upgraded but not ready yet.
So to be fully sure, use the address checker. I've never personally seen it not be accurate when compared to the telephone number checker. The postcode checker however isn't great for FTTC accuracy, especially in a situation like this.
EDIT: Further digging reveals that Cabinet 31 was deferred from the rollout back in 2011, but doesn't look like it's been done since.
plexy
Grafter

Thanks both for the useful replies. Ive asked my friend to check using the phone number. hopefully he's cabinet 31!