cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT speedtesterTap 3 Test, speed issues , / edit > Sorted (hopefully)

Apprentice
Grafter

BT speedtesterTap 3 Test, speed issues , / edit > Sorted (hopefully)

Last weekend thunder + lightening caused the phones to fail although there was internet connection at around 280 Kbps, called BT phone faults and the Openreach engineer arrived Monday pm and changed part of the OR master socket (NTE5) and hey presto the phones worked once again.
Resynced the router and waited for speed + IP profile to increase, no speed increase through the week.
So switched router off this morning and restarted in afternoon, router synced at 4000Kbps but by speed hadn't changed still under 300Kbps so ran the speedtester and sync was OK and IP profile had increased to 3500Kbps.
Result from tester was to do a Tap 3 Test (haven't come across this before) changed username in router etc but FF browser doesn't connect to the BT server.
So what's the problem with the line when BT speedtester goes on to ask for Tap 3 Test to be completed?
7 REPLIES 7
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BT speedtesterTap 3 Test, speed issues, what next?

What's your current line speed? (assuming Madasafish users can do this...)
Apprentice
Grafter

Re: BT speedtesterTap 3 Test, speed issues, what next?

Hi Jaggies,
I have been trying to complete the test 3, however stopped for a while and tried the BT speedtester from scratch again around 60 minutes later.
The result is a surprise as things seem more or less back to normal without any changes ......... very strange?
Hope it stays that way I guess time will tell, and thanks for the interest  Smiley
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Re: BT speedtesterTap 3 Test, speed issues , / edit > Sorted (hopefully)

The TAP 3 test is usually asked for when the download speed falls below the FTR (Fault Threshold Rate). In case the instructions are unclear, you need to log in to your router's GUI and change the connection username to speedtest@speedtest_domain (anything you like for the password, or just leave your own one) and then run the TAP3 test. You'll have to put your own username and password back after you have completed the test.
I suspect the problem in your case was probably down to the Current Line Speed not being updated when your line was repaired - it can lag about 12 hours behind any change in your IP profile.
Looks like it has caught up and now your line is performing correctly.
Can you actually get the Current Line Speed from the Member Centre?

(Edited to correct broken link)
Apprentice
Grafter

Having a maaf account I can't access  the PN Member Centre and there isn't a way to see the current line speed on the maaf "My Account" web pages other than completing a speed test using the "My Broadband Speed" tester.
The connection and line speed are still OK this morning.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

It's almost certainly Madasafish's equivalent of Current Line Speed, then.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Apprentice,
I've changed your profile to 3500, you should see the increase shortly.
Jojo Smiley
Apprentice
Grafter

Huh

Thanks Jojo