cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT speedtester doesn't work

Denzil
Grafter

BT speedtester doesn't work

I'm getting slow speeds today (around 130kbps). As I am on the end of a long piece of wire I'm not panicking yet, and I'm quite happy to wait for a couple of days to see if it comes back. I thought I would try the BT speedtester to check the profile and sync rate, but it doesn't work. All I see is a white rectangle inside a black rectangle at the top of the screen.
Is this Linux compatibility thing? I run two different distros on two PCs, but they both do the same. Is there any other way I can see the sync rate and IP profile?
49 REPLIES 49
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: BT speedtester doesn't work

Thats Normal with BT speedtest, it is a very bad service, when it works its good but seems to suffer from to many people trying
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Not sure if this is the reason, but have you got Java installed on the Linux boxes. I think the BT speedtester website uses some Java. try there to check if you have it installed http://www.java.com/en/
Other than that, I would agree with pierre, the Bt speedtester is frankly rubbish, and its a joke that we have to use such a poor peice of programming, to get BT to accept a fault. One wonders if is all a conspiracy Angry
I am sure Plus and many others are pushing BT to get this terrible excuse for a speedtester sorted out, but until then..........
Denzil
Grafter

I do have JRE (need it for Openoffice anyway). Not the latest version, though. Might be worth trying an update.
pcoventry
Grafter

Hi Denzil,
As pierre stated the BT speedtester often suffers problems loading, running tests and working right. It is however the only speedtester to give true and accurate readings as it gives so much more than just the speed. If we are to investigate a problem for you then we need this tester as the results are logged with BT and we can access them.
AS a last resort if the BT speedtester is not working for you. We will accept speedtests from www.thinkbroadband.com and If you send in results from this you will need to copy and paste the URL from the speedtest into a ticket.
I hope this information helps.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

For me, if it should be my lucky day and I'm granted the boon of a speedtest, Java crashes.
This is only for this web site - not any other.
I enclose a screen dump (look near the top of the image) - taken after the site decided to have a kip.  Roll_eyes Roll_eyes

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pcoventry
Grafter

Morning Jeremy,
Yes that is a frequent error message and alot of the time it will work at a later stage. I get that error aswell yet java works on every other website I visit in that same session.
artificer
Grafter

with pclinuxos speedtest works in konqueror, but won't display graphs.  it works fine in firefox and will show the graphs too.
Denzil
Grafter

OK, still nothing with the Ubuntu laptop, but the Suse desktop now at least starts the BT tester (I haven't changed anything). Trouble is, I enter my telephone number, then my username@plusdsl.net, but it tells me that username is not recognised.
The plusnet and thinkbroadband testers have both resolutely shown 160kbps for rthe last week. I have run a test with the router connected direct to the test socket. Is it time I raised a ticket? I can post the links to the TBB results.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

If it helps, I frequently have issues with the BT one too, so tend to use the following;
www.speedtest.net
www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
Interestingly, though the latter of the two is PlusNet's own speed tester, they don't seem to accept that one ...... makes you wonder what the point of it is Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is an odd problem with the PlusNet speed tester and BBmax which is the same - it doesn't work properly with Vista 64 bit - reports speeds significantly faster than the IP rate
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: MysteryFCM
If it helps, I frequently have issues with the BT one too, so tend to use the following;
www.speedtest.net
www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
Interestingly, though the latter of the two is PlusNet's own speed tester, they don't seem to accept that one ...... makes you wonder what the point of it is Wink

you have missed the point.  Plus Net do accept their own test,They have ownly recently iintroduced it as the previous one was unreliable. but the ONLY one that gives the result required is BT's own test, even if it has its fault with not being available at times.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

I started doing their instead of the previous one's I used, and still got told they needed the BT one ....... if they need the BT one to help then;
1. Why bother with the expence and hassle of purchasing someone else's and re-branding it? (which then ups their outgoing costs)
2. Unless they're planning to upgrade their own to provide the relevant details they need.
/edit
My point btw, is that there's a plethora of reliable speed test site's available ...... and they all provide exactly the same info as their own does, most likely using identical methods.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Probably because their one is a customer information test and the BT one is a diagnostic test.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

See my edit Wink