cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT showing FTTC availability in my area..

Method0ne
Grafter

BT showing FTTC availability in my area..

According to SamKnows and BT's own checker my local exchange is AO status (accepting orders) so does this mean I can actually *get* FTTC or is it more like when ADSL first rolled out and enough people have to sign up before they'll do anything?
Guessing someone from PlusNet might actually have to check into this for me, but if anyone could, that would be awesome.
Thanks in advance!
17 REPLIES 17
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: BT showing FTTC availability in my area..

That's what happened with my exchange in October last year. The status changed to AO in the middle of September & the fibre went "live" on October 1. I was the 2nd customer on the box!  Cheesy
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Have you put your phone number into this checker?
My exchange was coming soon in June 2012, coming soon in December 2012, coming soon in March 2013, coming soon in June 2013 and now is coming soon in December 2013.
Not a definition of 'coming soon' to which I've come across before Roll_eyes
I noticed previously putting my number into that checker, FTTC wasn't listed. Now it is with a date of March 2014 though.
Method0ne
Grafter

Quote from: Alex
Have you put your phone number into this checker?

I just tried, it says March 2014.. yet when I look on the Openreach site it says they're accepting orders, and both give speed estimates.
Thoroughly confusing if you ask me..
Anyone from PlusNet able to query it further would be appreciated, since if I can actually get a faster connection I'd like to have it asap.
Alex
Community Veteran

I assume the exchange is just a general one (i.e. when some cabinets for that exchange are enabled).
Doesn't necessarily mean a cabinet in your area.
I think the phone checker is the definite one - though I could be wrong.
Method0ne
Grafter

Seems odd that they'd provide a speed estimate on my line if my cabinet isn't enabled though, unless they're just guessing, which isn't beyond the remit of BT by any means.
dick:quote
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Just tried to place a modify order for you and our supplier's systems aren't letting me unfortunately. I suspect as mentioned above that fibre is on its way and the exchange has been enabled but not all the local cabinets are yet.
As soon as we can order it for you we'll be happy to do so.
Method0ne
Grafter

Is there any way that I can get a notification when things are upgraded, or is it just a case of wait and hope for sooner rather than later?
Honestly, when I looked up my exchange earlier I nearly spat my drink all over the monitor when it showed FTTC availability, now I know what the donkey feels like when you dangle the carrot in front of it 😕
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Best way we can suggest is to keep checking the BT page at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and let us know as soon as it's marked available or offers a speed estimate I'm afraid.
Method0ne
Grafter

As can be evidenced here there is already a speed estimate, though the availability date shows as March 2014.
The initial lookup earlier didn't have the availability date listed, just the speed estimate, which is why I got so excited to start with.
Alex
Community Veteran

Know how you feel, being in a similar boat what with the 'coming soon' date slipping so many times now.
Have you seen any Fibre cabs crop up around the area where your exchange is?
There are none around my exchange, but I have seen some around neighbouring exchanges - so the fact my date slipped yet again wasn't a huge surprise.
I've attached what the checker tells me. Same thing really March 14. No doubt that'll change to 24 come February.
Method0ne
Grafter

To be honest, I don't go out much lately since I work nightshifts, rare I'm awake during the daytime and rarer still that I'm out of the house if I am.
I likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference even if I did stumble across one though.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

My exchange has been AO (Accepting Orders) for 3 months. FTTC cabinets have appeared alongside a few cabinets close to the exchange, but not yet alongside mine which is a little further away. The availability checker offers FTTC to friends near the new cabinets but it is not mentioned for me.
Earlier this year Openreach said FTTC at my cabinet was planned for July, but I reckon that date has slipped.
David
Method0ne
Grafter

Interesting, was planning on a sojourn to the pub, so I might have a little wander around on the way and see if I can spot anything different, like I said, I probably wouldn't recognise a different/new cabinet if I stumbled upon it, but it can't hurt to keep my eyes open.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

They're bigger than the old ones and (especially in hot weather) have fans blowing so you can usually hear them if you're close.