Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT say High speed but Plusnet insist it should be low

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

BT say High speed but Plusnet insist it should be low

I'm hoping the unofficial support channel works better than the official one (i.e. I hope James sees this.  Smiley )
Your Question  ID: 26908813
Your original Question 6:17pm, Thursday 6th November 2008

ADSL Sync rate:- 7648Kbps;  Noise margin 7dB
Results of BT speed test (yes it worked!!!)  6,500Kbps  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Results from Plusnet https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed  1,500Kbps

Guess how fast my connection runs.

To add insult to injury,
Dear .....,
I have now raised this issue to BT Wholesale for further investigation by thier diagnostic engineer team.
BT advise that it can take upto 2 working days for an update in some instances, but we will contact you with any further information on this issue as soon as we have it.

Since it's obvious that Plusnet have screwed up big-time why don't they just reset their erroneous figure in their database instead of passing the buck?
This means I might see something happen by next Tuesday - but probably not, since the problem doesn't actually lie with BT Wholesale.
BT 1 : PlusNet nil

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

8 REPLIES 8
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BT say High speed but Plusnet insist it should be low

I think you are maybe ranting a bit too much.  Wink
When the PN profile doesn't match the BT one it normally self-corrects quite quickly, and if not a simple request to PN corrects it. I've seen many such instances reported here and they were all resolved quickly and easily without any acrimony. Cool
VileReynard
Hero

Have you noticed that BT think I should be connected at 4 times the speed that PlusNet do?
I didn't mention it, but the BT figure is typical for the last 12 months or so.
The PlusNet figure is silly.
I left the PlusNet figure for about 20 hours - expecting it to correct itself.
It's had over 2 days now and it still hasn't corrected itself.
I'm really displeased.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just had a look over your fault ticket and TBH it's not as cut and dried as it first seems. The figure we have set for your line is indeed 1500, however as you have shown a BT speedtest has this at 6500. The odd part is that the BT system (BBCR reporting) that we get the figure from still shows 1500 which is indicated by the following on your ticket.
BIP Interface Data

Current line rate Line rate change timestamp Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated ProfileTimestamp Maximum Stable Rate

I've updated it on our side to 6500 now but you may still find your speed restricted to 1500 until the BBCR reports we get show 6500.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

I thought I'd double check and see what the BBCR system was saying now rather than from the fault ticket from earlier today. I've attached a screenshot below but as you can see it's still at 1500.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
VileReynard
Hero

Thank you very much Chris  Smiley Smiley
I must say I don't understand what you mean by BBCR (BroadBand Connection Rate?).
However, the Plusnet site is now showing good numbers.
I appreciate it might not solve an underlying problem - but at least you have taken a positive step!
Furthermore  Grin
A PlusNet Speedtest shows

So - everything is back to normal (apparently)
Thank you for your help - even if this situation is only temporary, at least it's a temporary improvement.

Chris
Legend

BBCR is the system that sends the IP profile to us and therefore we use this to set your profile on our side. IIRC it stands for Broadband Customer Reporting.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Chris
... I've updated it on our side to 6500 now but you may still find your speed restricted to 1500 until the BBCR reports we get show 6500.

Still working at full speed - despite your reservations  Smiley

VileReynard
Hero

An update...
Today (10/11/08)
Testing shows us that your fault is now resolved.
When your fault was reported the bRAS had your profile correct at 6500kbps however the DSLAM was configured at 1500kbps which was causing unnecessary restrictions on your connection.
Our internal profile is picked up from the DSLAM and therefore was also set at 1500kbps. As such, while we could have manually changed our profile to 6500kbps this would have had no effect on your connection speeds.
Due to the very nature of faults, we can only request that you monitor the connection for several days, in order to confirm you are satisfied this is resolved in full.

Hah!
It was resolved because Chris fixed it for me days ago  Grin