cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT said Plusnet is [-Censored-]

Stafroman

BT said Plusnet is [-Censored-]

I'm In the process of moving from BT to Plusnet broadband and line rental package. BT have said that Plusnet unlimited is not unlimited, that speed will be capped after 100 Gb of usage, and traffic management will seriously reduce my speed. I think there talking a load of [-Censored-], they even offered me the same deal for a pound cheaper at £23.99 to stay with them. Has anyone else had the same experience? What are your experiences like with Plusnet?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter in title edited as per Forum rules.

13 REPLIES 13
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: BT said Plusnet is [-Censored-]

I've seen/heard people tell us that BT Retail/Consumer have said similar things in the past.

Unlimited usage is unlimited usage. I'm not sure why they think otherwise.

The speed isn't capped after 100GB, this is simply a lie/misinformation they have told you.

We don't use traffic management to restrict your speeds. We use it to prioritise latency sensitive traffic i.e. a Skype call would take priority over a torrent downloading.

I don't agree with selling services based off of putting competition down, I think it's better to sell yourself on your own good points.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Silly thing is BT own plusnet 

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

We're part of BT Group, yes.

We are not owned by BT Retail/Consumer, which is the company Stafroman will have spoken to.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

BT Group plc (trading as BT) is a holding company which owns British Telecommunications plc which presumably owns Plusnet?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Stafroman

This is what i thought, thanks for the responses 

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

@VileReynard - Is that first part of the sentence from Wikipedia by any chance? Noticed that it's worded the same there. BT Group owns both Plusnet and BT Retail, acting independently of each other.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Yes - but it appeared to fit with the rubbish that BT issues to its shareholders.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

When I moved from BT to PN, I received several emails from BT urging me to call a special number where they had a team "specially trained to help you".  Presumably that team had been specailly trained to tell me what you were told, Stafroman.

Is it really possible for companies owned by the same group to be truly independent?

pgregg

I don't believe so.

Case in point.... PlusNet sent a BT Openreach engineer a few weeks ago to look at my line.

Now Openreach are *supposed* to operate at arms length from BT Retail and other ISPs are *supposed* to have equal access to Openreach - however the engineer outright said 'If this was a BT line I could do more to help you".

LindaB0
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I had exactly the same experience just over a year ago. BT put the fear of God in me stating that they hadn't received notification of a switch going thru depite reassurance from PN on numerous webchats. I could also folow the status of my order too. BT bullied me into believing that my BB would be extortionaly hiked after my contracted ended, they offered to match PN offer, I received worrying letters about not cancelling my direct debit and possible court action etc etc.

BT were an absolute nightmare after 30+ years of loyalty. Do not be put off.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I found migrating pretty straight forward, possibly because I did it all on line so no chance of hard sell or being told lies about my new provider.  BT produced my final bill about five days after the switch-over, and my overpayment was in my account about two weeks after I'd left them.

Somewhat amusingly they headed their last communication "Goodbye for now", and my account is still accessible and says my next bill is due in October 2025, i.e. ten years after I left.  Do they have a crystal ball, and how accurate is it?

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

In my experience as a (former) employee and a (former) customer, they have plenty of balls, but none of them are crystal.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Stafroman

My Plusnet service has been running for a couple of days now and it has been working perfectly fine. Good riddance BT