cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT's free upgrade to 21CN. PlusNet?

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

BT's free upgrade to 21CN. PlusNet?

BT have this week announced they'll upgrade customers to ADSL2+ for no extra cost (including a free iPlate!) if it's available at their exchange and if they renew their contracts:
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=26957
Could this mean PlusNet will soon be doing the same?
Just wondering ........
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
21 REPLIES 21
James
Grafter

Re: BT's free upgrade to 21CN. PlusNet?

We haven't as of yet finalised our 21CN plans.
Once we do, we'll let everyone know.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Mad
Could this mean PlusNet will soon be doing the same?

You mean only upgrading people to 21CN if they sign up for another 12 months? Lets hope not.
In Market1 areas PN are becoming less attractive to stay with now, this would be one more nail going in the coffin.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

I really meant being upgraded FOC and at no extra cost for the extra speed. BT are putting new customers straight on it where available, according to the questions at the bottom of the BT page.
Yes, the Market Area thing is a complication all round!
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Mad
I really meant being upgraded FOC and ... are putting new customers straight on it where available

No, its says:
"If you're an existing BT Total Broadband customer, you can upgrade your speed at no extra cost, just by renewing your broadband contract ..."
So they are not 'put straight on it' they are when they agree to another contract.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: godsell4

In Market1 areas PN are becoming less attractive to stay with now....

I thought the Plusnet Value package offers a deal that is hard to beat in Market Area 1.  Perhaps you were thinking of Unlimited (=Unmetered)? 
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

I'm referring to new customers being put on it straight away, if you read what I've written, and the bit immediately beneath the bit you quote, where it says:
"If you're a new customer and up to 20Mb broadband is already available in your area, then you will get it with any new BT Total Broadband Option."
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

you can upgrade your speed at no extra cost

What speed upgrade! I tried the BT site , put in my phone details and it says I should get 5.0 Mbps on ADSL2+ , wow!!!
Odd, because I currently sync at 8Mbps. They dont seem to be offering much, or are being very conservative about likely speeds...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Says mine would be 6Mbps. Currently I'm on 8697 kbps, with a line speed showing on the stable rate page of 7150 kbps. But that's 'cos I've set the target SNR on my router at 3 db  ;). If I reboot, it comes out much slower with an SNR of 9 db.
They'd be better of saying "upgrade to 21CN" rather than "upgrade your speed".  Tongue
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Broadband checker results
We have tested your line to see what speed is available for you and our tests confirm that your line supports BT Total Broadband. We estimate your maximum connection speed to be 3.0Mbps. This is the fastest speed your line can support.
If you're a new customer sign up to BT Total Broadband now or order a package which includes BT Total Broadband.
If you're an existing BT Total Broadband customer, whilst up to 20Mb will be available in your area, you are already recieving (sic) the fastest speed your line can support.
Guess what sync rate 4,000kbps IP profile 3,500 kbps
Just to add BT can't spell either  Shocked
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Perhaps they don't want to raise anyone's hopes too high, following Ofcom complaining how ISPs are misleading customers on how fast their connection speed could be and the new Code of Practice. http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2008/06/nr_20080605
Or am I being too charitable?  Roll_eyes
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Since 21CN is cheaper than MAX for the ISP, this free transfer isn't so surprising is it?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Bojangles
Grafter

Did you put your phone number or postcode into the checker. Phone number gives an accurate description for me whereas my postcode was 4mbps slower.
Well with LLU performing better than 21CN it makes sense for BT to offer the upgrade for nothing. It's such a shame that plusnet aren't an LLU provider.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

phone number
mal0z
Grafter

Given the problems a fair percentage of the people on the trial - I've kept away - even thought the office account seems to be able to get it.
I think this is a case of waiting for BT to get it all sorted out 99% before leaping on board  Smiley
[Edit: - reading again - just want to say I'm not knocking the trial - it's great that people are trying it out and of couse PN providing the facilities.
Just that we have a good solid 6.5M where we are and don't need any faster for what we do at the moment.